Ribbed Shoulder Straps

hhuggins

Hey Mike,

I'm pretty sure that the shoulder bells were connected to each other and the strap went behind your neck.If you use webbing rather than elastic the bells will stay where they should be.Use elastic for the straps around the biceps though.I use this method and it works a treat!

- hey paul,i often wonderd if the sandtroopers even had the tops of the bells straped?most sandtrooper shots show the right bell far down the arm,i guess from the pauldron pushing it down.also seen at least one shot(sandtrooper puzzle)the left bell is hanging.any thoughts.

Hiya Dave,

Yeah I reckon they were strapped with elastic and that's why they have stretched down the arm.This is why I suggest using webbing to eliminate this problem.

Also,imagine how much stress would be on the plastic shoulder straps if the bells were attached to them?A simple webbing strap from one bell to the other,around the beck of your neck and problem solved!

You can have the strap closing at the back of your neck too with velcro or snaps for a bit of adjustment for a perfect fit.

-Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unless they were using some skinny heroin addicts with chests the size of 10yr. old boys in the movie for the stormtrooper actors, I don't see how the "protrusions" from the front & back plates could meet up as the above pictures seem to indicate (thanks RoCKo!)

I think one of the problems is that none of the replica armor (I have seen) has "protrusions) as long as those seen on the sandtrooper suits. In fact, there seems to be a general problem in that area with all the replicas. Maybe that is because all the replicas are based off RotJ suits and they are cut differently... I don't know, but I do know that all the protrusions I have seen have been a bit off/short.

second that absolutly!

that is exactly what i was thinking about as i first saw the picture i posted in this thread! the rotj and the esb suits were like second generation suits with more details like the different ab plate or the ribbed shoulder straps. so the longer protrusions were no longer needed.

the sandtrooper pauldrons hide the shoulder straps perfectly.

i´ve seen some stormtrooper preproduction drawings that showed the upper armor as a whole part like this sketch here:

Posted Image

i know this is not a preproduction sketch but it shows what i mean...

i don´t know where i´ve seen the real preproduction sketch, sorry!

i think this photo shows that the gap between the two parts was quite small and i.m.o. there is also some gaffer tape over the small gap.

Posted Image

I think the main problem with replica armour from what I have seen is that the chest mould doesn't feature a neck line and it's up to the individual to cut it wherever.I think the necks are cut wrong and the upper back 'protrusions' are too short as well.

They are from an ROTJ suit so remeber they were 'modified' to fit better and when you watch ROTJ you can see there is plenty of black showing in most main body areas where ANH suit's hardly show any,suggesting that the ROTJ were in fact cut shorter or narrower?

Also RoCKo,I believe only the ROTJ suit's are 2nd gen.ESB were reused ANH suit's that had new hand plates and were gaffer taped up alot