100 days...

KarmaTiger

As some of you know, I'm in the entertainment industry. I work around models and actors most days (except when I'm shut in writing a screenplay or designing a new game).

I saw several young actors and models using unhealthy low, low calorie diets to get that hollywood/runway waifish thin look. Being an ex-military bear of a man (and at 37, "old" in their eyes) telling them how bad it was for them was like a fish criticizing someone's bicycle riding technique. So I decided to show, not tell.

I put myself on a 100 day starvation diet and blogged about my experiences, demonstrating first-hand how silly it is. I dropped 63 lbs, a little over 1/2 of which ended up being muscle mass and bone density as my body consumed the protein and calcium for nutrients.

But it paid off; I received a lot of fan mail from both girls who had been caught in the diet trap, thinking their worth was measured in numbers on a scale, and recovering male anorexics who not only faced an uphill battle against an eating disorder, but doctors and society telling them they couldn't possibly be anorexic. After all, "everyone knows" only girls become anorexic...

On the other side of the coin I address obesity - the hidden things in our food that sabotage legitimate efforts to drop unwanted body fat, and how making little changes and even losing as few as 10 lbs. can make someone's overall health improve far more than they could imagine.

Yesterday was day 100. I now start about a year of recovery working with a trainer to build my muscle back up and retraining my BMR (basal metabolic rate) to handle more than the 200-400 calories per day I was existing on.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, check out the blog at http://www.thehungryi.org

If not, just give me a minute to get my nomex on before the flaming starts... ;)