question

locokarma

It depends a bit on the part and how snug they fit. I use rivets in some places, velcro in others. Perhaps the best is to use a snap-based system to hold things together, or better still adjustable straps.

Some parts I want non-stretchy like my suspenders, but others it's great to have a little give.

I've also gotten in trouble ABS cementing things and then having them too tight (e.g. one of my thighs). Unless you know you have room to spare, I'd suggest gluing one side first and leaving the other velcroed as it will have some give.

I guess it depends on which parts your talking about!

snaps was my next question.

Thanks for the in-put. I am sure I will be on the right track with a little mixture of all the above?

The more I read about MEPD, the more I am interested.

As I mentioned in my introduction- time isn't that much of a problem, but the money is somewhat tight right now. I know I shouldn't rush things and be impatient (I do wish I had known about this a few years ago!)-

Any advice or words of wisdom?? ....other than start saving now??? LOL

snaps was my next question.

Thanks for the in-put. I am sure I will be on the right track with a little mixture of all the above?

The more I read about MEPD, the more I am interested.

As I mentioned in my introduction- time isn't that much of a problem, but the money is somewhat tight right now. I know I shouldn't rush things and be impatient (I do wish I had known about this a few years ago!)-

Any advice or words of wisdom?? ....other than start saving now??? LOL

You're on the right track knowing not to rush things. It can be tough sometimes modding armor or building props but you've come to the right place to get some useful input from a great bunch of guys. For some of us the real challenge is balancing sandylife with homelife, but if you got time, might as well take advantage of it to make more than decent gear.

But the no. 1 rule is to get dirty and have fun!!

Also if you can in any way manage it - take the time to look at all the armor mod tutorials to see the different approaches. And if you can really swing it, take a look *in person* of mods that other troopers did. There are many ways to skin certain cats, and you may find some solutions more to your liking than others.

Example: I riveted the shoulder straps to my front/back upper armor bits, but do agree that ABS cement would have looked better and wish I had done that. OTOH, I saw what riveting the right ammo belt to the upper thigh looked like and copied that solution, and have been happy with that decision.

When in doubt strap/velcro for now, ABS cement/rivet later.

So for a new guy, the best way to start is with the FX armor

then go with straps, velcro and snaps. Unfortunately, where i live- (Arkansas) there's not 2 many troopers where I can get a more personal perspective.

Forgive me if I seem full of questions, as I am weighing my options here and not wanting to rush things. But is there a way you can get pre-made armor custom fitted? And how much would it run, ball park figure?

Don't bother buying a pre-assembled FX kit, odds are you will need to mod it to make it fit you correctly. Save a few bucks and some headaches. And...according to a quick search of ebay, depending on what's included and how assembled or not it is, 650-1500 seems to be the current range for FX type armor.