FX Helmet Recommendations

Daetrin

I've moved from my FX to an ANH helmet and am wondering now what to do with the FX. Should I sell it or keep it as a spare?

It's been modded inexpertly by me:

1) Green lenses

2) Sandtrooper Decals

3) Cut out frown (not the best job)

4) Skullworx

Aside from the frown being not perfectly clean it's in otherwise good shape and has not yet been weathered.

Ideas?

I've moved from my FX to an ANH helmet and am wondering now what to do with the FX. Should I sell it or keep it as a spare?

It's been modded inexpertly by me:

1) Green lenses

2) Sandtrooper Decals

3) Cut out frown (not the best job)

4) Skullworx

Aside from the frown being not perfectly clean it's in otherwise good shape and has not yet been weathered.

Ideas?

Yeah we know its too big!

Plan on getting an ANH next year but will probably hang on to my FX for a backup just in case. Seems most in our garrison still currently use the FX so I guess in the interest of appearance uniformity(and gadget space) vs. accuracy, i'd continue using it. However since we have a relatively small number of active sandies in our garrison, it would just take one or more ANH buckets to make it our troop standard.

I'm just building my first suit ever- an FX, and all of a sudden there are tons of threads all over the place about better suits and helmets, banning the FX, blah blah blah... It's a little confusing for a noob. I plan on making my FX as sandy as I can- got the diamond sniper plate, will leave out the ab buttons, green flat lenses and sandtrooper decals- but that's really all I can do at this point. Just hope it won't cause any ostrization.

Hey - my suit it FX too and it's not about to change anytime soon due not just the $$ but also the time involved in trimming/painting out a TE kit. A hyperfirm MG34 will be my last purchase for a long time, and this only because a BFG is the last item I need to be MEPD qualified and my wife won't let me really spend time making one.

I have to admit though that upgrading to an ANH style helmet (TE/GF/AuthenticProps - you get the idea) was worth it for me personally and I was only able to manage it as I sold a lot of other stuff on EBay to afford it.

Lastly, when I bought my armor I knew nothing at all about the different kinds of suits and FX was readily available.

IOW, don't feel bad - you're in good company.

Don't worry, you won't be ostricized (sp?), most troopers use FX, some of us are just downright obsessed with the whole screen-accuracy thing. The point of fit is good, not all people fit into TE suits, or helmets. The helmet upgrade is a plus, as long as your melon fits in. We are all in this for fun, and regardless of armor "brand" we are all Sandtroopers. So worry not, you are amongst friends.

Don't worry, you won't be ostricized (sp?), most troopers use FX, some of us are just downright obsessed with the whole screen-accuracy thing. The point of fit is good, not all people fit into TE suits, or helmets. The helmet upgrade is a plus, as long as your melon fits in. We are all in this for fun, and regardless of armor "brand" we are all Sandtroopers. So worry not, you are amongst friends.

Fun is the keyword! When it gets to the point of obsession, some of that fun kinda dies. If the bucket fits, wear it and the h*ll with what others think as long as you're having fun, whether you're wearing a Rubies or a quality ANH recast

Fun is the keyword! When it gets to the point of obsession, some of that fun kinda dies. If the bucket fits, wear it and the h*ll with what others think as long as you're having fun, whether you're wearing a Rubies or a quality ANH recast

Amen - well spoke brother.

Back to my original question - is it better to sell it and try to make $125 or so off of it on EBay or the 501st board (selling the skullworx separately for what - $100?), or is it better just to hang on to it?

Sorry to hijack the thread... I say sell it as well- for the same reasons. It's always great to make a little something back on your investment... to spend on more costuming stuff.

Ah, yes an American tradition - PROFIT! Nothing wrong with that my man!

I am very happy to see that the overall mood here is a positive & light one. I REALLY would hate to LOSE the "friendly" environment here at sandtrooper.net.

Like Seth mentioned earlier, there are certainly different levels to trooping as in canon vs. non-canon, special-edition vs OT (orginal-trilogy) etc., etc. Keep up the great work gang! Continue to share ideas, comments, and advice.

As for me, I started with FX and moved to TE against the advice of a very good friend of mine. He voiced a honest concern about TE armor not being able to stand-up to the rigorous activities of trooping. However, I AM very very HAPPY with my TE sandtrooper armor (did I mention I have the TE Marmit-style backpack too )

I based my decision on several factors: 1. Movie accuracy. (Anal-retentive, Type-A personality yup, that's me) 2. Being a "height-challenged" trooper the FX bucket made me look & feel like a "bobble-head" trooper so the smaller brain bucket was a BIG plus! And 3. TE armor is pretty form-fitting - I always liked my "stuff" neat, packed and "squared-away" just like in the military. CHEEHOO!!! C'mon guys, you know you want to look GOOD in yer armor!

Carry on compadres!! I love you guys! Take care & aloha.

Guns

Not to hijack my own thread, but I think armor is like motorcycles - or tools. Can you really be served with one set?

You need an FX suit to fit in with FX troops and for when you need to do something that might be abusive to the suit, like stunt work Or that you want to mod like crazy to have more mobility.

Then you also need a TE sandy suit for when you want to be 100% movie accurate.

And yet another TE suit that's squeaky clean for when you want to fit in with your Death Star friends.

Alas for the whole time and money limitations :(

Now I can get behind the motorcycles thing

He said, thinking of his garage...

1978 Vespa P177 Street Racer

1980 Vespa P150 Bee bike (the girl's)

1959 Vespa 125 Mod Bike

1964 Lambretta Riverside Li125

1982 Honda CB350 Cafe Racer

I own them. I have a few pics of the scooters at my web site, but none of my girl's bike -which is being painted by a friend- or the Honda -which is being worked on by another friend. It's good to know mechanics and painters. I've been riding since I got my first mini bike in about 1978. Never owned a bike until I got a Honda 175 Rambler in 1988, which later died a slow death.

http://pnerves.com/scooters.htm