Refinishing a used ATA bucket from TK to TD....

Plastic Fury

People say they like these kind of threads so I figured I would post this one up.

I am working on stuff for my TD and have finally gotten around to re-finishing the bucket. I could have probably just worn it down and weathered it the way it was but I just felt like doing it all over again, using this as a practice run for the bucket that will replace my FX on my TK, that one will have to be nice and shiny. I was not happy with the finish on this bucket, or with how rough the teeth and eyes were trimmed, as well as the paint on the teeth and ears. It was all just too sloppy for my taste. I also decided I wanted five slots on the frown on both sides as well.

Anyway, here is some pics of the progress, I just ordered some vinyl from TK4510 to make it into a TD and some lenses from Smitty. Once all that is done, I will start the weathering on it.

When I got the bucket;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Torn apart and ready to start sanding;

Posted Image

Started sanding it down;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty much ready for primer and just before I decided to open up those last two teeth;

Posted Image

Of course I forgot to take pics of it when I had it all primed and wetsanded lol. Just a flat white bucket.

Three coats of Rustoleum high performance gloss white should do it;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As it sits now; (the lighting makes it more yellow than it is)

Posted Image

I'll give a few days to get a good cure on it before I start to mess with it again. I can't wait to start bringing down some of the finish and get it good and weathered (but not too much, I am a believer in less IS more, so no worries there). This was great practice to see what this paint is like to spray with from a can, I am pretty confident now that my TK will come out great when I tackle that one.

I'll post more pics as it progresses.

• 2 months later...

I know shiny and white is not the thing here but I really wanted a good before and after for this bucket. Here are two pics of it as it was finished (at the time).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was just not happy with the sloppiness of some of the details when I got it and it was a really good learning experience. Of course, it was not really finished yet since it was soooo clean. Here it is as it sits now, I know this will be too much for some and I was originally going to keep it real light but after playing around, I like the rugged and dirty look myself.

Current condition;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comments or criticisms are always welcome.