Trooping Precautions

Ph1l2007

Hey Guys

I just finished my TD outfit, and needless to say it was a huge investment. I spent a lot of money on the suit and the accessories, and a top-notch weathering job courtesy of Mike TD-1536. I have got to say it is probably my most prized possession and as a new owner I am trying to do everything possible to make sure my TD suit lasts a long time.

However, one of the things I wanted to do in addition to official 501st troops is surprise people by showing up to the occasional birthday / house party, social gatherings, and even the occasional concert or other public events as a Trooper because I think it would be fun to see how people react. At the same time, I am really concerned about safeguarding my armor and protecting it from excessive handling, knocking, tackling, toy lightsaber melee attacks, and other damage that might be done by overly-excited kids and fans.

Mike was telling me one of the best ways to be safe is to go these kinds of events with a friend or two to make sure people don't rough house with you. However, I would appreciate any other advice / shared experiences from you all during these "unofficial troops" so I can know what to be careful of when going to such events with my armor.

What are some important do's and dont's?

Thanks!

Posted Image

^^^ My Baby :lol: ^^^

Suit looks great! Mike did an outstanding job on the weathering.

The only advise I could give as far as precautions go, just be aware of your surroundings. Don't stand in crowded areas and like you said about the little ones, avoid hyperactive kids! they tend to jump all over you and engage in some sort of reenactment scene from Braveheart. Seems fine at first but when little Billy starts to tug, kick, slap, poke and prod, it's probably a good time to get the **** out of there before the wrong thing comes unglued.. (YOU) Mike's right, you should always try and troop in pairs. That way, you've got each others back. If your at an event, find a place to stand where nobody can go behind you. That way you can guard your pack from the occasional blind party goers. Be "in control" of the situation at all times if you can. You shouldn't have to spend your whole time worry about some knucklehead slam dancing into your gear. Have fun out there bro and remember to keep a bottle a CA glue with you at all times.

Good luck.

Just use common sense... I never did. :lol: I trooped in all kinds of odd ball places, but I did so knowing I had friends around to help if need be and I also did it in my old FX armor which could take a beating.

Avoid going into Store, Malls, etc. unannounced (even though I've done this too), because some Mall Cops may not take a joke. Actually, Malls don't allow you to wear helmets. That's an odd rule, but we've gotten the same response from Malls all over the area.

Be sure to install blowers. In my first troop as a TK, at the Fort Worth Museum of Science... it was a hot day, and that's all I am gonna say about that < Forrest Gump > but I was heading to the break area, to de-fog.

Then I hit an obstacle... a lady in a wheelchair. I sort of had a small leaning fall, and felt this soft shape... familiar, but in a an odd altitude.

I stopped, composed myself, and I tipped my helmet at the chin (no lids off rule)... and there was a lady in a wheel chair.

The soft shape was her boob. I apologized... and she said "no problem, that was the high point of my day."

Sometimes, you never know when someone wants their boob squeezed!!! That said, brothers do not walk around feeling for boobs. Ventilate your lids.

Definately stick with friends. Personally the worst I've encountered are the kids in groups. They like to take cheap shots which usually backfire when they realize they've just punched a ridgid object. Once we trooped with a guy who had made a lightsaber out of one of those foam pool sticks (like the foam insulation). He would just bop the kids upside the head after they hit us. It was nice.

Any kid with a lightsaber is a potential assailant. If you see them coming prepare to be engaged in mutual combat. :lol: