My MG15 Building Thread

Hello fellow Sandtroopers!

As you know from the other thread the insane madphisto has chosen to build an MG15 Blaster

replica. This one should look badass and and be as functional as some E11 replicas out there.

While I already found out that this gun bears some surprises in regards to detailing easily over-

looked on first sight the most striking object I thought would decide about failure or success has

been the quite prominent and striking saddle drum. So getting my hand on a real one or replica

was my premier goal for the start.

Maybe some are interested how this project will develop over time - so I'm going to document

the major steps to the final piece.

I remembered that there was a 501st member producing rotocasted replicas of this saddle drum

but then I decided to try getting a real one first as I wasn't convinced of that cast for that price -

though I wouldn't argue the price wasn't justified. It was just that I don't like the holes in the front

lid probably left from production. I also plan to use the mag as a storage for batteries and maybe

circuit boards for incorporating special effects later so it needed to be hollow and accessable.

So long story short - I was glad enough to get a real one in acceptable condition for almost the same

money (including shipping and customs) the replica on ebay would have cost me ;)

I present the corner stone of my MG 15 project:

MG 15 saddle drum (75 rds) used to feed MG15/34

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

enjoy :)

Next step will be cleaning and making a decision weather to just clean it or to completely restore it.

Another option I'm going to discuss with some blaster builder colleagues will be the possibility to produce

a replica with the ability to be opened and used just like an original so you could use it as storage too

and have it lighter than the original which will be more practical on a troop for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update:

I haven't have the time yet to completely clean up the saddle drum but had to focus on

pre-planing the body especially as I need to consider preparations for the special effects.

Here is a first idea sketch of the single elements of my gun and it got almost as complex

as the real one to allow functionality.

Posted Image

It's rough and I already reconsidered some spots to avoid having too many threads in the

whole construction but the roadmap is clear I guess. The next sketch will be more precise.

This one I had to scribble down when I got up so I wouldn't lose the thoughts spinning

through my head while weaking up. The basic parts are actually quite close to the original.

The major difference is the sled system for the "breech" (which is just a fake but the cocking

handle should work). So that and the barrel are the only parts where I save elements and weight.

the sketch might be a bit confusing but I'm going to explain:

1) Receiver and breech block

2) Mantlet for breech block with lower ejection port and clamps for (shell sack)

2a) Magazine well

3) Sled insert for breach peace

3a) Brech peace with cocking handle and recoil spring

4) Bakelite stock (Still have to find an alternate material - maybe PVC) and end cap

5) barrel mount

6) Shroud and sight mounts

7) Flash hider

8) Safety ring (planned to be usable)

8a) Safety and trigger pins (Only the safety pin will be usable)

So far the raw anatomy of my gun. It will take a while to get the right figures and the

parts machined/milled. With some luck I may get 2/2a in one part.

And now the question regarding the planned special effects!

LFL has left out the barrel when they shot the scenes in tunisia and that's a good thing

regarding weight. However when I saw the possibilities of the plecter lab enhanced

special effects blasters I wanted to plan with that in mind.

The power cells and the electronic modules will be in the saddle drum. I need to construct

some kind of connector so that the wiring of main body and drums are independent. This

connector will ideally work via the drum slot and well. Wiring and switches/buttons will

probably have enough space due to the saving of space within the receiver. The speakers

will find a place within the scopes and/or main body.

But...

Of course I want a ray-propagation or at least flash effect ;)

The barrel shroud is 30 mm in diameter with a mantle strength of 2-3 mm, maybe more

depending on how much "flesh" I need for the threads. I have like 20 mm for a clear

poly-carbonate barrel or some sort of LED installation

Would it be recommendable to work with mini LEDs or with a luxeon technique as known

from the light sabers - what do you think?

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys, still working on the project, organizing some parts etc.

In the meanwhile I got something interesting for all those guys who seek to build their own MG15.

Don't know if you already knew the site but for investigating the gun I always stumbled over this

page but it wasn't that well covered by then - so I guess these have been late additions to the site.

http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/archiv/Do...n%20gewehr.html

Very cool illustrations and explanations (in german - sorry) and the handbooks for download.

Images and drafts can be clicked upon for original size.

really great