My take on weathering

lordvader74

Here's my AP bucket (sans lenses since I'm waiting on new ones from Smitty over at the FISD). I weathered it yesterday with only rattlecan spraypaint. I used camo black, camo earth brown, and camo kakhi. After they were sprayed, I wiped it down with acetone. In person, the color is identical to the sand here on the beaches and around town. I'm thinking of hitting it with a little real sand as well. I picked up a bag at Michael's that matches perfectly. If I do, I'll use the old hairspray trick and try and keep it in the nooks and crannies. Pics of the armor will soon follow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice...how long you let the spraypaint before applying acetone? And what camo paint you're using? Ones from Krylon dries in 15 min.

Are you using the common weathering method? - from the darkest to brightest color.

How can you not damaged the other paints? I'm thinking about the same way,but have no clue doing it without damaging other paints.

Looks killer :) and thank you for sharing

Thanks pappy! I hold the can away so that it barely gets a dust on the parts. That way I can control how much paint goes where. I tried not to get very much on the other painted parts. I only let the paint sit about 2 minutes. I start with the camo black and don't use very much, then move to the earth brown and use a little more. Finally, I go to the camo khaki and use more than the other two colors. The acetone just takes off the bulk of the paint leaving behind a grainy texture. I handed the helmet to my buddy yesterday and he tried to dust it off! LOL

• 2 months later...