Help!!

tk 7261

ok i am tk 7261 so i am clean now. i was thinking about going dirty but i dont know if i should. i dont know how big of an investment it is. i know i can get the knee plate, hand plate, and chest plate but i have no idea about if i can afford the backpack (which i was planning on building) or the pauldron (as i dont know how much it would cost) but my question is is it worth it to go dirty. it seems like it would be even harder to move but they just look so darn cool whith the pouches ( i dont know how many i need or where they all go)and pauldron... aaaahhhhh i dont know what to do. help

Welcome to the MEPD ,

Don't worry about the cost of the backpack , they can be built for a very reasonable price. There are several build tutorials on here which will help you , A backpack can be built for as little as $100.

Personally I ended up with one of each. The sniper plate is cheap to get and the ab plate mod can be done by canabalizing your plastic belt (if you still have one) or your drop boxes. Getting new stickers for the helmet or repainting if you hand painted is pretty cheap as well. The cheese grater hand plates are just an option and not required at all, so no worries there.

Pauldrons are very cheap these days for a basic one - $30 or so? You only need one pouch but two are more typical. These you may also be able to pick up used inexpensively if you hunt around.

The pack can be very expensive or cheap. In the past building a pack was about doing a lot of diving at the local thrift store for used parts, but they sure take a long time to build.

As for movement - I pretty much can do most everything as a TD I can as a TK. I run, go up stairs. There is a little bit of movement loss on the arms wrt to the left pouch depending on how it's mounted.

It really depends on what you're after. TK's are all about being part of a group of identical troopers, and enjoying the uniformity. Being a TD you get more opportunities to self-express in terms of accessories - which where and how many.

Personally I ended up doing both.

I'd have to agree with what's already been said, but give it my own twist. I love working on the weathering aspect the most personally, and think that it is awesome to see others working on theirs. Another thing to keep in mind is that just because you want to 'go dirty' it doesn't mean that you have to follow every requirement listed for becoming MEPD; it's just that next level to strive for. As for some of the confusion, I'd say sit back and become as familiar with the threads on this board as everything (and more) can be found here. Welcome to the MEPD!

thanks so much for your help guys. i guess im kind of scared because i only have one set of armor and i dont want to ruin it

At the time I went sandy I was in the same boat as you. It's scary to cut in to that ab plate, but just remember that mistakes can be corrected :)

...just do some searches and see what people have done...hopefully it will help you gain some confidence to go for it :)

...the AB plate mod is easy...just take your time...

...on the pack there is a ton of research that has been handed down by the members (such as mike h) on this forum which should help in making your own pack...I finally decided to take a shot at making one...it has been fun...I will have around $150 in parts when finished...

Good Luck!!!

Lewis B)

At the time I went sandy I was in the same boat as you. It's scary to cut in to that ab plate, but just remember that mistakes can be corrected :)

Heh heh oh I remember that Paul... you were scared of even touching your armor... :D

Use the resources on here, talk to others in your Garrison who are Sandies who could help - Paul (Daetrin), Brian (TD2802) and I all went Sandie at the same time so we shared info and helped each other...

I think I had as much fun putting both my scratchbuilt and SB/MH packs together as weathering armor. Even trooping for that matter. As you collect material and assemble stuff - whether from someone else's tutorial (ie. ab plate, sniper plate, etc...), you may find a new method or technique for getting the job done. It may be an improvement or an alternative but you're bound to learn something here to suit your skill level. Often times too you'll discover your ideas converging with others. For example I couldn't get a hold of any fuller's earth locally for weathering so instead used crushed artist pastels. Turns out other sandies did the exact same thing before and got just as decent results.

Good luck with your progress!

Agreed! You know my handiwork may not be as good as a ready-made ab plate, but it was work I did myself and I was proud of it. My first pack I did by myself as well. Two vacation days and I think in the end it would have been far cheaper to buy one ready-made, but again I was able to say I made it myself.

You can always buy replacement parts if you mess up, but you can't buy the satisfaction of doing it yourself the first time. :)

Agreed! You know my handiwork may not be as good as a ready-made ab plate, but it was work I did myself and I was proud of it. My first pack I did by myself as well. Two vacation days and I think in the end it would have been far cheaper to buy one ready-made, but again I was able to say I made it myself.

You can always buy replacement parts if you mess up, but you can't buy the satisfaction of doing it yourself the first time. :)

very well said Daetrin,,i am still new to all this as well,,and this forum and the guys and gals on here have been very helpful with my first build.. you just have to dive in and get dirty,haha, its totally worth it. B)

cheers

dan...sshhhkkk