sandy paint

motman241

OK, it's been talked about and written about several times on here (I know, because I said it)

This is the paint that I used. It has real sand in it, and comes in lots of colors. Not sure if all craft stores carry it, though. And it looks like it cost me $1.97 for the one jar, but that was several years ago.

Decoart Sandstone textural acrylic

Posted Image

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Sandstones

There is also a natural sand texture gel that Liquitex makes that can be added to any acrylic paints to achieve the same look with whatever colors you'd like to mix in. I've used it sparingly on occasion and liked the look.

http://www.artcity.com/painting-mediums--g...gel-medium.html

Found this in the art section of a local department store the other day. It looks like grainy PVA glue when you put it on, but dries into a golden crust (a bit like raw sugar grain, only finer). Apparently it can be mixed with paint to produce different colours but I've been applying it onto my armour directly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mixture crusts over nicely (and sticks to the armour well)

You could get it off if you scrubbed it with a bit of hot soapy water, but I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with it coming off in the rain.

Heres a photo of my backplate, burnt umber and sand coloured acrylic paint with the Artworks stuff on top. I've used it in the cracks and 'shelfs' of the armour to give the effect of accumulated sand.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

That looks like some good stuff. Although.... since silica is salt, I'm wondering what may happen to it in the rain, or humid weather. Does the paint kinda seal it in?

Silica is actually one of the main ingredients in glass. It's pretty much chemically inert and will not dissolve in water. You're thinking of sodium chloride maybe?

• 2 weeks later...