How old?

RetzFett

I am 34. I saw star wars in 1978 during the second release. I was not oblivious to what Star Wars was though. I saw the book a friend of my Dad let him borrow, and saw the pictures. I thought, wow.. what are these white guys on a lizard doing here? My firends had the toys and I really was just wanting to see the film.

So, my Dad took me and my brother to see it to Grove Theater in Forest Grove Oregon. This is a little mom and pop that to this day is still around! The line was long but we paid our .50 per child and 1.00 for an adult and got our seats. The lights dimmed.. the crowd went crazy and and it began. I was in awe... it looked so real.. the spaceships attacking each other and laser blasts and explosions. The guys wearing funny helmets all ran to a door and set up waiting.. but for what???

I asked my Dad who had read the book what was going on.. All he said was: "watch...."

The door exploded and the guys in white ran into the hallway killing everything in sight. I gasped.. too shocked to say anything else until after the droids escape pod was away and tumbling to the planet below. I turned to my dad and said: "I am going to own one of those suits one day dad!" He laughed and said quietly, "OK, now watch the rest of the movie!" I left the theater after it was all over and could not express all the cool things I just saw. A day or so later my dad and brother and I went to a variety store called Sprouse-Reitz to get my mom some sewing items. We were a poor family growing up and my mom made me lots of clothes to save money for other things.. headed to the sewing section I stopped dead in my tracks... the 12 back standing/spining display was right in front of me.. TOYS FROM STAR WARS!

I ran over and could not believe you could take home something that looked to me, just like the images I saw. My Dad said you can each have one. But whom to choose? Sadly it was NOT a stormtrooper, but a weenie Luke Skywalker. I guess the lightsaber I saw was still burned in my mind as a cool weapon.. So Luke won out. I will always remember the smile on my Dads face as we chose our figures, but to me the smile in his heart was the biggest.

The **** figures were $5.00 each in 1978! My Dad made really nothing. I dont know how much OT he had to work to pay for those, but he loved his sons and was willing to do this for us. To this day I cannot ever not pay for his golf, the non alcoholic beer we drink while playing or the occasional dozen balls we need to play without thinking back to the sacrifice he made that day. I am happy to repay my folks anytime they need help or just a quiet thank you by treating them now. They are the best...

Fast forward to 1995, 24 years old. I called my dad excited as all **** and we spoke of that day and what I had told him. He was floored.. "you got a stormtrooper suit from the film!?" Bring it over!

I dont know what was more awesome. Getting the suit, or sharing it with my Dad who shared his love for Scifi with me by taking me to a movie that changed my life forever and what I wanted to do with it, or seeing the look on his face knowing that the journey I set out on to find a screen used suit was over... I like the latter...

TE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning gang,

What better time to sit back, relax, and reflect than on a bright sunny Sunday morning. Faye & I just came back from church. We sat down and had the pleasure of having lunch with our son. Soon after the lunch dishes are washed and put away (Yes, the men did it! Mom made the lunch - it's only fair. )

Our teenaged daughter is off at her new job, Coffee bean & Tea Leaf. Our two dogs got a special "doggie treat" and have now found their favorite places to enjoy their tasty snacks. Faye settles in to read the newspaper and I get to sit down and visit my favorite website AND what do I find? A little piece of TE on the board today!

TE, I am most happy to see that you found a "home" here. Technology certainly has brought this world a little closer together and I continue to be amazed at all the posts from Great Britain, Germany, Italy and the rest of world!

TE, I enjoyed reading and re-reading your post my friend. It gave me just a "little" insight into the man that brought "stormtrooper" joy to so many.

Sadly, I lost my dad too early in my life. He passed away at only 45 years old - I was 13 when he died. But I do have the memories of him before he died. And now at 49 years old, I can only tell y'all how truly blessed I have been. IF I had passed away at 45 I would have missed out on my daughters high school graduation, my own graduation from college, and last but not least, the JOY of knowing ALL of you and the privilege of having sandtrooper/stormtrooper armor! I am so very lucky to have two sets. My Pac501st XO reminded me once when I was a little "whiny" that "some people dream of having just one". Well, I still whine, BUT now not so often!

TE said, "But whom to choose? Sadly it was NOT a stormtrooper, but a weenie Luke Skywalker." In the beginning I wanted to be the dashing and good-looking kid with the lightsaber AND the cool-looking "Eisenhower-style" jacket at the end of the movie --

But, there was always "something" about that white armor!

TDK-2581, at your service!

Guns

Hey guns, Yeah.. My family is very important to me and I will always be thankful that that day was as magical as it could be to such a young person. My folks think it is amaing after almost 30 years people still want stormtrooper suits and others. But hey! we know the good costumes right? YEAH! Stormtroopers forever!

TE