Question

TK Dirt

Okay, I've looked around at previous posts and I now ask all of you. Is there a tutorial for a home-made pack on this site? I see the tutorial for making a pack with the vacuformed pieces that I think are available to buy(?).Seems to be a tutorial for those that have both home-made items as well as the vacuformed parts made by another forum user. Are these pieces still around for purchase? If so, from whom? I don't mind making one from scratch by looking at screen captures and then using household items. What I do need is sizes and dimensions for all of it so I get it right. Like, How big is the radio box? How big is the speaker?the knobs? etc. I made one before and it was awful! Just want to make sure that I do it right this time. Thanks for the help.

There isn't really a tutorial out there that lays everything out in detail. As you have found there is a wealth of info on the site though. A lot of scratch-building a pack will be "Mark 1 Eyeball". The other problem being there aren't really definitive sizes as the real parts were trashed after filming. By my estimation the main boxes should be about 11" wide though, for what its worth.

That's a good start! Thanks for the help. That initial measurement will help me scale everything else on the pack. Was it you or TK-1536 that had the vacuformed radio boxes? Or was it neither of you? Let me know about those if you have any info on them. I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

There is some good info on this page:

http://tk409.com/tk409.html

I personally have found it helpful to start with a boyscout backpack frame, because it's easier to know what size boxes and pieces to get if you have the foundation to lay them all on.

The best thing I have found so far for the main boxes are cat litter trays from Walmart. They aren't perfect, but if you're using normal items you can find in stores, they are pretty good.

But I'm going to look for seed trays at garding stores and greenhouses tomorrow. I've seen some that are too long, but perhaps they can be cut down. The boxes on top of the main boxes could hide the cuts nicely.

Maybe.

Sounds good. I've been to 409's site before. He's the one that got me interested in TD in the first place. I used his site to make my first pack when I first found out about costuming. It was the first project I ever made. I didn't do too good of a job on it. The tubs were too big, I used frezer mugs w/ water in them in place of the normal bottles, and the radio plate was a nightmare. Maybe now that I have been at this fo a few years, I can use some stuff from his site as well as the info here on this site to make a pack that is worthy enough to see the light of day! Thanks to all and I think I got enough to start on this project. As usual, you guys were a big help. Again.

my pack isn't particularly accurate, but it looks the part relatively well. i haven't gotten together a page yet, but i have pictures...

http://stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/thum ... ?album=277

a few things have changed and not been updated. the tupperware container i used on the top right of the pack was WAY too big. i've popped that off and used a smaller one.

i didn't use a frame... i didn't want the extra weight of it.

i used cat litter boxes since they seemed sorta the right size. a bit too deep, but i'm ok with that.

i connected 2 of them with a small hinge in the middle, and the braced it with 2 aluminum bars. the other 2 boxes are attached with tiny little nuts and bolts.

the straps are riveted to the aluminum bars, so that the litter boxes don't take any weight.

the tubes on the sides also add structural support.

lots of rivets throughout. lots of black zip ties.

i've been meaning to write up an actual walkthrough of the process, but i haven't gotten that far yet. maybe i'll be inspired now!

So as I understand it correct, there is nothing like a kit for the backpack.

You have to do the build yourself from scratch then.

So what's the story behind the vacuformed radio's...how do I get one?

The building itself shouldn't be that difficult, when you got the right stuff of course

If anyone can help me out with a vacu-radio, shout it out!

For the rest of the items I will pillage my mom's kitchen first in search for the tupperware items and then off to ye local DIY-shop

C-ya round peepz

• 4 weeks later...