Helmet tube stripes (pics added of testing Apr 18)

wannab

Ok, now that I am painting my lids I plan on painting the tube stripes.

I have a vinyl cutter (I'm a sign maker by trade) and I plan on making a vinyl stencil to mask the stripe for painting. I want to make these accurate but not as "wonky" as the original paint job.

So my question what is the proper number on the real lids? The ref photos I have most seem to have 13 stripes per side (some 12 and some even more).

I also noticed while working on my helms that each side has a different sized area where the stripes go so I will have to make two different length stencils.

Does anyone have any really good, somewhat closeup shots of the stripes on the real helms?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Ok, now that I am painting my lids I plan on painting the tube stripes.

I have a vinyl cutter (I'm a sign maker by trade) and I plan on making a vinyl stencil to mask the stripe for painting. I want to make these accurate but not as "wonky" as the original paint job.

So my question what is the proper number on the real lids? The ref photos I have most seem to have 13 stripes per side (some 12 and some even more).

I also noticed while working on my helms that each side has a different sized area where the stripes go so I will have to make two different length stencils.

Does anyone have any really good, somewhat closeup shots of the stripes on the real helms?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Wha!!!?? you have a vinyl cutter and you havent made stickers yet????

Thanks Captain!

I noticed the color looks quite a bit different than what the preferred Humbrol #15 looks like.

TK4510 -

Wha!!!?? you have a vinyl cutter and you havent made stickers yet????

Well if I get these dialed in (color shape & size-wise) I can offer some as sticker or paint stencils. They would be custom fitted to the TE line (both sides are not the same). I will post my progress with photos as soon as I can.

I would love to see these as some sort of a stencil so it's easier for people to go accurate ANH style and paint them on.

I think the actual measurements are 16mm long stripes, with the stripes themselves being 3mm wide with 4mm wide spaces between them.

Although the spacing varies a bit once in a while, the main thing to correct the different lengths of the sides is there is not a constant number of stripes on each side. I think the number of stripes from helmet to helmet varies from 11 up to 16.

Here are some pics of my stripes testing.

Note they are just paper prints taped on at this point.

I am looking for input as to any changes to make.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Measurements

Left (looking at front of helmet) Length 90mm Rear stripe 16.4mm high front stripe 15.5mm high

Right (looking at the front) Length 83mm, Rear stripe 16.4mm, front stripe 15.6mm

I tapered the stripes (slightly) as you can see by my measurements it just seemed to look more like the photos I had as ref. I also angled the tops formard very slightly as well. LMK what you think and if you have more accurate info.

Thanks.