Possible original color on backpack found

TonyRB

I've done some research into this similar to when I researched ANH TK paints a few years ago.

As we know Humbrol supplied the big studios like Elstree and Pinewood with paint, so it is highly likely that Humbrol was used by the costuming/ Art department. In the 70s Humbrol only had a range from 1-50. I purchased 3 tins of paint, which I considered to be close. After making sure I had mixed the paints properly, (stirring with cocktail stick for a few minutes to mix the oil in). I painted swatches onto a piece of plastic. ( I will post photos up later.) Now it hard to match what was used on screen but looking at numerous photos as no packs survived, I came up with the following:

Posted Image

I'll try and get some photos of the swatch in shadow as well, to show how the color can look a darker grey.

Be interested in what you Sandtrooper experts think?

Looks good to me.

Here's some more info on my findings as of late. As some of you know, I've been using the Rustoleum Country Blue for everything. I think we all agree it's pretty **** accurate. Well, Rustoleum has discontinued the line. If you can find any remaining at your Home Depots, pick it up, hoard it. I bought the last four cans at the one near my house. The next widely available option, also available from Rustoleum is their American Accents 'Slate Gray'. In the store it looked great, but after I painted a few pieces and compared it to the original Country Blue... I mean, it could work, but I didn't like it.

Also, I've bought a few Tupperware Stow-N-gos last year that were naturally that same teal/blue color. Even though they were painted black for the Sandtrooper back packs, it did get me thinking... perhaps the bottles and main trays were also Tupperware of some sort, and were already the same blue color?

I was the opposite. I went with AA slate gray because I thought it looked better ! I agree, they are almost the same though. Take a look at my beestinger. It's not painted. It's an original vintage "blue" tupperware pitcher. The AA slate gray matched up to it quite well. I'll look at the local stores for the discontinued stuff and pick up a can or two. Thanks for the head's up.

Posted Image

Here's some more info on my findings as of late. As some of you know, I've been using the Rustoleum Country Blue for everything. I think we all agree it's pretty **** accurate. Well, Rustoleum has discontinued the line. If you can find any remaining at your Home Depots, pick it up, hoard it. I bought the last four cans at the one near my house. The next widely available option, also available from Rustoleum is their American Accents 'Slate Gray'. In the store it looked great, but after I painted a few pieces and compared it to the original Country Blue... I mean, it could work, but I didn't like it.

yeah, if you didn't know the Country Blue existed, the Slate Gray would work just fine. I had two painted parts in hand, and I preferred the Country Blue. If anything, the Slate Gray is darker and as you pointed out, closer to the original Tupperware color.

That looks pretty good Tony! Bummer on the rustoleum though, looks like I need to go shopping at the one place that has it locally. As an alternative, you could get it color matched at a paint store, and buy a fillable aerosol sprayer to apply it. Which, could be a cool option if you wanted to utilize unpainted blue tupperware parts.

Also, I've bought a few Tupperware Stow-N-gos last year that were naturally that same teal/blue color. Even though they were painted black for the Sandtrooper back packs, it did get me thinking... perhaps the bottles and main trays were also Tupperware of some sort, and were already the same blue color?

I could not agree with you more Mike. I have thought this many times. Take a look at the pitcher I just received from Ebay. I buy lots of them for the solar dish for my packs. I am hanging on to this one. It has not been painted that is the vintage color. You see how close in color my parts are to the pitcher. If the Tupperware theory is correct that would be very cool. The paint I use is Master Modelers Intermediate Blue.

Posted Image

That's the same pitcher attached to my pack (in the pic above).

I could not agree with you more Mike. I have thought this many times. Take a look at the pitcher I just received from Ebay. I buy lots of them for the solar dish for my packs. I am hanging on to this one. It has not been painted that is the vintage color. You see how close in color my parts are to the pitcher. If the Tupperware theory is correct that would be very cool. The paint I use is Master Modelers Intermediate Blue.

Posted Image

That's a possibility it being the original plastic colour of the products. Any one know what they were?

Still no hard concrete evidence on colour good theories, lets see if John Mollo knows what was used. He verified the grey and blue ab buttons when I saw him at a con here in the UK and also went on how they had to hand paint the helmets white every 5 minutes as it wouldn't adhere to the plastic. Next con he is at in the UK I'll ask.

Thanks Marc

Paul, I'll let you know as soon I know which Con John will be at.

Seth, thanks for the offer and sending sample, I intend to finish off my own backpack, had the parts for around 4 years now, even TE's Radio box gathering dust in the loft. So I shall need to obtain stow-n-go box, hopefully I can get one on ebay.

Be great if we can the origins of these parts as the people in the know are getting old now. I wonder if that book "Making of Star Wars" will shed any more light? Btw you guys should have fuzzy hair and good tans to be ultra accurate

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarification...when you guys mention the American Accents "Slate Gray" do you actually mean "Slate Blue"? I was at the hardware store yesterday looking at paints and they had AA "Slate Blue" that looked pretty good.

Also, as someone mentioned in another paint thread here, the ACE Hardware Enamel "Wedgewood" looks close, too.

-Todd

Anyone else use American Accents Iris Blue? The color of the cap isn't quite the same as the color of the paint. I thought the Iris Blue was the closest. Of course, you'd have to figure in film stock, color grading, printing and the like in all of our sources, so we may never know for sure, but for my money, the Irsi Blue looks very close.

Oops sorry about that, it's Slate Blue.

Just for clarification...when you guys mention the American Accents "Slate Gray" do you actually mean "Slate Blue"? I was at the hardware store yesterday looking at paints and they had AA "Slate Blue" that looked pretty good.

Also, as someone mentioned in another paint thread here, the ACE Hardware Enamel "Wedgewood" looks close, too.

-Todd