Pick yer plastic

Sand_storm

Just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages to the various types of plastics used for vac-forming are (ie styrene yellowing over time )

Anybody care to comment?

Are any of them more/less prone to cracking than others?

I know I could probably get some of this info on plastics manufacturers websites, but I expect that I'd get a better idea from hearing what people who AREN'T trying to sell me something have to say!

Thanks all!

I think abs is the strongest plastic to troop whit. But it should be harder to work/vacum whit, then hips and styrene (and they/hips, styrene should be more sharp to vacum).

Iam not a maker, only a owner. So i can say for sure.

Cheers

If you are forming with a shop vac you will only be able to use HIPS. With that said, thicker HIPS will come out soft. ABS is out of the question unless its very thin like .04. If you are going to invest in a vac pump and tank they will both work depending on how much vacuum you achieve (ie how much "mercury" you pull) and they will both look better than they would have with the shop vac. HIPS captures more detail and is pretty flexible, ABS is a little softer on detail and stays a little more rigid. HIPS is softer than ABS but they can both crack. Hairline cracks will be the main thing you get with them, HIPS more so than ABS. They will both yellow if in direct sunlight a lot, although most ABS and HIPS is UV stabilized to prevent this. HIPS takes paint a little better, but its not a huge difference. ABS is a little stronger generically, although if you over-cook either one they become brittle. They have different cook times as well. They both have their applications, I wouldn't say one is generically better than the other. I prefer working with HIPS in forming and cutting/assembling. I like the smell of HIPS better too. I'd personally like to try out some other things besides those two that are a little more flexible/durable.