Headset mics for ROMFX

oo-tee-dee!

Me again Am currently studying options for laying out a ROMFX in my helmet - I quite fancy the sort of mic like what's on these headsets http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...adset&doy=13m11 - remove the mike from the earpiece and have it velcroed to the side of the helmet so I can bend the mic round to be as near or as far from my mouth as I want.....has anyone done this, is it a good idea?

If the ROMFX mic that comes with the pack has to be mounted on the front of your helmet in a fixed position then it can't be altered to be nearer my mouth...even though the website says "The supplied microphone is covered in heat shrink. It has a stiff, bendable wire inside the heat shrink so when you mount it you can bend the microphone into the perfect position in front of your mouth."

When I look at the pics I don't see where this bendable wire is...if anyone has any useful inner helmet pics of their mic setups please post them!

Thanks

Rache

If the ROMFX mic that comes with the pack has to be mounted on the front of your helmet in a fixed position then it can't be altered to be nearer my mouth...even though the website says "The supplied microphone is covered in heat shrink. It has a stiff, bendable wire inside the heat shrink so when you mount it you can bend the microphone into the perfect position in front of your mouth."

When I look at the pics I don't see where this bendable wire is...if anyone has any useful inner helmet pics of their mic setups please post them!

The description doesn't sound anything like the mic I got with my ROMFX. I used the mic and D*CON, but I was getting some feedback issues, so I swapped it with another since then. (I think the feedback was due to the mic being mounted on my bucket, and the speaker being under the chest, and some type of plastic transit thing going on, nothing really wrong with the mic, just the way it was mounted.)

I have to first say that I LOVE my ROMFX. I haven't seen anything I'd trade it for. That said, I'm still making adjustments and trying to find an optimal solution still after months of having it installed, and reconfiguring it.

Initially I had the 8AA in the tool kit pouch of my MP-40 on my shoulder, and the electronics in one of the ammo pouches. I mounted the speaker behind my chest plate facing out (speaker side to the ABS) and ran a mini stereo wire extender from the ROM-FX to just under the left edge of my bucket, where I secured the end to act as a quick disconnect for the mic wire coming from my bucket. I mounted the mic in my bucket, and would then get the bucket near my head, connect the mic to the extender, and put it on. This was honestly a pain in the butt.

I tried an over the head headset like you have showed, but I have an AP bucket and a normal sized head, so I don't have a lot of room when I'm putting the bucket on, and the over the speaker on the side of the over the head headset added a lot of width I didn't have room for. So I clipped the speaker off the headset, looped the headset part around my neck, and stuck the mic up to my mouth from there.

This last method has worked fairly well, but I really want to replace it with a better way of fastening it around my neckseal.

I also want to replace the 8AA with some rechargeable battery packs, and mount the packs, and the electronics with the speaker in the front under my breast plate.

I've been working on installing my RomFx in my AP helmet this week. Once I've got it sorted out I'll post some pictures but essentially I've done as you describe oo-tee-dee! The flexible mic boom is velcroed to the inside cheek of the helmet and can be positioned right up to my mouth. The boom I used was the behind the head radio shack mic. I removed the radioshack mic (drilled it out) and cut the head band off. Then I mounted a AudioTechnica uni-directional mic on the boom. The rest of the RomFx is mounted at the back of the helmet but some of my mods there with extra switches and such get complicated so I'll wait for the pictures to describe it properly.

I did find that the mic provided with the RomFx had feedback problems at all but the lowest levels while the quality AT mic was perfect sounding at full volume. I'm using the small model train type speakers mounted inside my aerators.

I also discovered the wiring on the RomFX sound effect leads were soldered backwards which meant the sounds could be set of with metal touching the exposed RCA connectors so those had to be fixed. I was in a parade and my "Move Along, Move along" sample kept playing over and over even though I didn't have it wired up, turned out my gold mic jack was touching the RCA plug with each step.

I have the stock mic in my TD helmet but I use a radio shack powerd boom mic for when I am in the Clone, so far it has worked great with no problems.

With helmet mounted speakers? How do you isolate the speakers from the helmet?