shoulder straps - what to use?

chuckrick

sorry odd question. does the strap go on top or on the bottom for the shoulders. i've seen it both ways

Other posters indicate that the original TDs had their armor pieces cut so that the armor itself made the bridge across the shoulders, then there was a strap added underneath for support. It certainly looks to be this way in most of the pictures I've seen (look further up this thread for examples). Others may disagree.

Sooooo, that said, I'd say it's somewhat open to interpretation. I chose to put mine under since in the screen TDs you cannot see the edges of the straps on top of the chest armor. For me, it doesn't matter that much since my FX kit is inaccurate to begin with, but since it's my first attempt at building armor and I'm a pretty tall guy, I took the advice offered and went the cheaper route.

I suppoe you could put the starps under and then layer some ABS pieces on top of the straps to make it look more like the originals. Hmmm.

Another option beside the leather and nylon webbing, is to use those vinyl wall baseboard that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.

Posted Image

They come in a 4 foot lenght and white in color and can be easily cut with utility knife. They are durable and flexible. You can rivet it, snap or velcro to the plates.

Also you can use this as the back part of your armor belt. Trim it to size and wrap it with canvas or duck cloth. They are sturdy enough to hang your holster versus those layers of canvas belt.