Newbie with big aspirations

Bhudda

Hi members of the MEPD, I'm new to your forums as well as to the 501st boards in general. I found my local garrison(Great Lakes Garrison in Michigan) and registered on the boards. I was asked there what kind of Stormtrooper armor I wanted to build, and that was easy...SANDTROOPER all the way.

They gave me a link here and said this is where I need to start. I am up for the long journey and ready to get started...looking for a few leads, thank you.

Hey Bhudda, welcome to the M.E.P.D. Please enjoy researching our forum and choose which trooper you would like to emulate. Then check out this site....http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/ Its a fountain of info there. If ya got any questions dont hesitate to ask...most of all have fun bro. :yes:

Hey there Bhudda, welcome to the MEPD, as we like to say, the most welcoming forum and community on the net.

Here you will find answers for most of your Sandtrooper questions, and if there is a question we have not answered yet, we can look for the answer together!

I have a few tips for you, in order to build the best armor you can:

First of all, read, read and read... chances are that all questions and doubts you might have, have been already asked and answered.

Use the search engine, it is your best tool to get started... but if you cant find what you need, just ask. There will always be someone willing to answer, help or at least point you in the correct direction.

Get to know the armor, gear and accessories as much as you can before ordering any item... you want to buy the good stuff, in the long term, its cheaper to buy good than to buy cheap.

Learn from other's experiences, but most of all, learn and study real armor from ANH. Check the movie, screen grabs, back stage picts and real prop pictures from archives and auctions... try to copy the real deal, not somebody else's armor. That way you will end up with a copy of an original, not with the copy of a copy...

HAVE FUN!

This is a hobby and we are here to enjoy.

This can get expensive, personal and very intense in a minute, that can ruin the fun. Don't forget we are here to have fun... this community is proud to be called a brotherhood that work together and have fun together... we are a bunch of perfectionists and obsessive detail freaks, yes, but we are here cause we enjoy it...

Welcome...

Let us know if you need anything, and hopefully you will be sporting a great Sandtrooper armor in no time.

Saludos

Juan

I could repeat what Juan said, but it's the way to go!

Reading and taking it all in might sound boring at first but it will definitely expand your knowledge about the armor and will be more than usefull when you are starting with your build.

Anyways, Welcome to the boards and the brotherhood we call the MEPD :yes:

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I can already see, I chose the right group. The Sandtrooper is the most awesome looking of all the armors because of the accessories (snow trooper is pretty cool too). I've been reading these forums the last few days as a member, but many times as a lurker.

I've been a collector/cosplay for years, but mostly Comics. My last project was Captain America's Sheild kit, I assembled, painted, etc. but never have I took on a project of THIS size. I want to go "Captain from Docking Bay" w/Orange Pauldron, I like his weapon choices the most.

Looking forward to starting my process and keeping everyone posted and asking for help...lol. I do have 2 quick questions, I'm part of the GLG here in Michigan, are there any MEPD branches/members here? And just a random "what did you guy/girls do first, get your accessories, or weapons, etc.? Thanks Again for your help and advice.

Welcome Bhudda!

Depending on who you get your armor from will be a big factor in where you start. It can take several months to get an armor kit, so some people spend the waiting time gathering supplies for the build, ordering accessories like pouches, undersuit, etc and building a backpack or weapon.

One thing that's need to be stressed with this hobby is patience.

Yes. Patience.

You can go ordering your armor first and depending on the return time you will have your cue for where to start.

Also, budget might be a prerogative. So start were you feel like. Every part is important and every part deserves a good amount of work and time.

I started with the armor and then at the same time gathered the extras... And kept upgrading for about 5 years. It's an obsession for me to get as accurate as possible.

But, that's me.

Saludos.

Ok, thanks. Another question about the SD's accessories...the weapons, do they come in "kits" too, or are the basically together? I know the backpacks need to be assembled too right? Lastly, the Pauldrons state the rank, do you have to get permission in order to choose your Pauldron?(from the MEPD)

Bhudda,

The backpacks can be bought in kit form or pre-assembled. Dirty Boy and Quartermaster both offer backpack parts or assembled. Look them up in the member directory then PM them for more info.

Pouches can be had from Blaster 8266

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=10805

Pauldrons are a personal choice. You can pick whichever color you want. Trooper 1 makes excellent pauldrons

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=4934

Weapons are a mixed bag. If you want a E-11, Doopydoos offers a kit that can be built. Also several people on the FISD offer kits and completed builds of the E-11. Hyperfirm also offers all the sandtrooper weapons pre-built and painted from molds taken from actual weapons. Slavefive is the one to contact for those.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13374

Many troopers on here scratch build their weapons so that is another possibility.

Don't hesitate to keep asking questions. Getting started there is a lot of information to digest.

My God, this is EXCACTLY what I needed!!! Thank you SO much, some of the links to the places selling these parts on the "Getting Started" thread are older, and the people aren't making them anymore. Like the neckpiece...but the other stuff that was discontinued, you just answered!!!

Forever in debt, thank you and thank you again...Lol.

You know I have to leave with another question...the pouches, some canvas, some leather, are both acceptable? Some green, some black(I've even seen tan), I personally want black but are the other ok?

The canvas pouches come in tan, green and black and are worn on the shoulder. A leather shoulder pouch is also acceptable. If you get tan or green they will need to be dyed black to be accetable. All of the other pouches are black leather and worn on the belt so no need to dye.

The pouch breakdown are to the best of my knowledge the following:

Shoulder - canvas or leather MP-40

Belt - small, medium or large spanish pouch, roadblock pouch or MP-40.

All of them are pictured in Blaster 8266's thread.

You can get a Dark green canvas belt from IMA-USA.com they kit includes 2 but you only need the one with the small tool bag. The other one is not accepted.

You then can dye the green pooh black. Some of us believe that the original pouch used on production was green turned black after seen combat. Due to dirt and oil collected over time.

But you can also completely dye it or paint it black. Both are accepted.

You can also try and get one original spanish pouch from the net. Nothing beats the awesome look of original vintage/old parts.

Saludos.

Thank you, I believe I've tracked down most of my stuff, still doing the research and all my studying. The last contact I need to make is for the backpack...my goal is to go swat so I want the correct pack/weapon/pauldron combo. I'm on the waiting list for my armor and in that time I'll continue to research, watch build videos and reach out to the community...NEVER HAVE I BEEN IN A COMMUNITY THAT WAS SO WILLING TO HELP, I know this is the place for me.

Parting questions...

This time I'm asking about weathering...hard, tricks to it, real dirt?

And neck piece, haven't located one unless it comes with the armor, I don't think they do as I've seen them sold by neck size?

Neck seals are available here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21385-darmans-neck-seals/

Scroll down to see the ordering information. You will have to register for the FISD to see the link.

Many supplies are available at http://trooperbay.com/

They also have several videos on assembling the armor as well as weathering

http://trooperbay.com/videos/assemble-accurate-stormtrooper-armor/

Most weathering is done with paint or Fullers earth.

Whole section of the forum is devoted to it here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showforum=5

Also don't forget to order boots.

http://www.tkboots.com/

About 90% sure I'm going with "Authentic Props" ANH, ABS(I think)...is this a pretty good suit? I might have to "shim" it a bit...fortunately/unfortunately depending on how you look at it, my frame is like a smaller version of The Rock, lol...(not that muscular, but thighs and calfs are, from playing football through school). Should I be looking elsewhere? And boots, how do they run...true to size or not, im usually in an 11 1/2 depending on the maker.

For the next seal, there are plenty of makers over the FISD (Stormtrooper detachment) whitearmor.net

One that has always caught my eye is the one made by Veedox, but have never seen one in RL.

As for weathering, I would suggest you to take a deep look at two tutorials:

Panda Trooper's oily look technique http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7290

and SirDave's single pigment weathering http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=8452&hl=%2Bsir+%2Bdavid#entry103003

and http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=8550&hl=%2Bsir+%2Bdavid#entry104014

They both will be of a lot of help to get you to understand what you can do to achieve a certain look. I use a mix of both, together with my own discoveries. You could also take a look at the SWAT threads to see what they did yo achieve their look. As with many things, these are just things people did, but not written in stone. What you want is to look like the Sandtroopers on screen, so that is what you should be looking at, the most...

Hope it helps...

If you have specific doubts on items or vendors, ask before ordering. That will help you avoid lots of headaches.

Saludos.

Just watched the weathering video(coincidentally, this is the build video I'd been watching)...weathering looks fun, I'm an artist as it is, so I don't think it will be too difficult, my problem will be me being a perfectionist and never satisfied. I hope to go SWAT...

Oh... about the pack.

Dirty Boy, Quartermaster and Crashmann have excellent kits.

But my suggestion for you if you want to go top notch, check them all and include some ofther sources for found parts.

You will find that most kits dont include all the best parts altogether. For packs or anything actually in the world available in kits.

They 3 are very respected members of this community and the 501st, and am I sure they will all be very happy and eager to help (not just to make business), but it doesn't hurt to check who can provide the best most accurate parts, together with found parts and other sources...

Anyway, thats me, the uber accuracy freak.

Saludos

Finally, for now,

Here is a site that will show you the basic way an armor is held and works together. "It is an older site but it checks out". Just don't take is a law, but use it as a guide to understand how things come together.

I wouldn't use a dremmel on any part of the armor though.

Its better to just use lexan scissors, a box cutter and files.

Saludos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30761804@N04/sets/72157607437510456/

Me again...more questions, but this should be quick, the MEPD as a whole compared to the 501st's normal TK's...what's the process, from my understanding its first become a 501st member, then shoot for a specific style of TK, then go for the elite version of that style you chose?

Me again...more questions, but this should be quick, the MEPD as a whole compared to the 501st's normal TK's...what's the process, from my understanding its first become a 501st member, then shoot for a specific style of TK, then go for the elite version of that style you chose?

Yes, that's right. The middle tier for TKs is EIB status, I believe. The process here is 501st approval, police officer/deployed then SWAT.

Took my first step(well, actually my second step...my first was to get put on a waiting list for my armor), but I ordered my classic E-11 Blaster from "slavefive"(@cox.net)...slowly but surely i"m getting there. Next up, my Pauldron and pouches!