ATA armor help

IronTusk

Hey! Finally got my armor in after a gruelling 7+ month wait and even though I read through build threads countless times in the last few months, for some reason the second I opened that big beautiful brown box (well maybe the box itself isn't beautiful, but what's inside sure is!) all of that knowledge disappeared lol.

The first of what I'm sure will be many hurdles is the biceps. One, as many of you know, is much smaller than the other. I'm no bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination, but to get this thing on my arm will require cover strips roughly twice the recommended size. I've seen on other threads that, while ideal, the recommended/screen accurate size is not always feasible for people who aren't stick figures. The issue is the other bicep looks like it will fit no problem with the 5/8" cover strip. Do I have one set of strips big and the other small or do I put the same size on both biceps? I could then on the fitting bicep put a smaller strip on the back, so they at least look even from the front. But the problem with that is Idk how much meat will be left on the fitting bicep for the back cover strip.

Any advice is much appreciated!

You definitely want your front cover strips to be 5/8" on the biceps. That way they are uniform with your forearm cover strips. Then adjust to fit on the back of the biceps, but they shouldn't be too wide.
I had a helluva time with my ATA biceps! At first, I ended up trimming them way too small, and had to add wide shims on the inside in the back before laying the cover strips.
Here's a link to that page of my build thread on FISD. Check out my EIB pics as well to see the backs of my biceps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice! I actually solved the issue. I was briefly confused on which bicep was which. Turned out I was putting the left one on my right arm, and since I'm right handed and don't work out or anything my right bicep seems to be bigger than my left. Also everything with ATA armor is considerably bigger on the right side. Is that consistent with all armor?

Yep. I’m the same way. The right bicep and forearm on the ATA kit (especially the forearm!) are both bigger on the right. I don’t think thats consistent with all armor makers, but if you trim it down right, you can make it work.

Alright. Next hiccup. I've seen several people putting a snap on both sides of the lower ab section to attach the belt to hold it in place. I tried to do that, and the snap piece wouldn't go through because the ab is too thick. Am I missing something here?

How long is the post on the base of the snap? I had some a long time ago that were very short and didn't work, either. The Line 24 snaps from Tandy Leather have a 5/16" post and work great.

Its about 3/16". I went ahead and just glued some nylon snap plates on the surface of the above plate. It will be cover by the belt, so I'm not too concerned for now. But now that I'm aware there are longer snaps, I'll probably order some and rip the plates off. Thanks!