Kotobukiya Sandtrooper - Backpack Proportions Correct?

freakengine

What's the general consensus out there? I know everyone pretty much agrees the Marmit pack is too large, but what about the Kotobukiya? Do you think it's more correct in its proportions to the figure? I have to say that, to me, it looks a little on the small side, but maybe that's due to the fact that I've seen so many troopers with larger-than-life packs.

-Tom

I don't have one to check for sure, but toys are generally unreliable for reference.

Agreed. Unfortunately pics are also unreliable due to distortions introduced by lenses and lighting. It really is too bad no one has at least one set-used prop version of these so we'd know the dimensions.

If you can positively ID an item in the photo to give you scale, you can negate any lense distortion. You do have to take depth of field into account, but beyond that if you compile enough reference to scale from the margin of error will decrease. I did 20 scale tracings to come up with the pack boxes I'm making right now. Plus, in regard to using a toy or bust, etc, for reference, you are adding a step of interpretation. You are creating an interpretation of something that is an interpretation. At least going from film reference you only do that once. I wish there was a pack left in existence, it would be nice to know there was at least a chance that someone could check it out one day. Oh well.

Well said. Screen photos are the best way to go. Toys for visual reference are usually a problem because the toys are not accurate to begin with. So the reference you get from them can screw you up when you build a pack. Your pack may end up looking like the toy pack. Just my thoughts.

But I my be crazy to. Lol