Can you tell the difference on initial exam?

longboard8

Can you tell the difference on initial exam between AP and TM and RS? What would strike you the most? Why would it bother you? How would that relate to the original movie vs the idealized stormtrooper?

For those of you that have built multiple varieties, what was easier about certain builds? Did duplication of sides / parts come into play?

I have read some of the threads on whitearmor, but I'm not completely sure how to weigh it all. Yes I have armor and have begun a build, but it is a bit more wonky than I had anticipated.

I would not consider myself an armor expert, but I do know a few things.

First of all, I must say that I have never seen for real an AP or an RS armor. Only TM and RS helmet, among others not mentioned here.

But I have read a lot about them in the past years.

So, my choice would be TM definetily for the whole kit. Also TM for the Hero bucket. I would probably go with RS for the a helmet, but not my fisrt choice for the armor even if it comes straight from a ANH used armor.

Why?

Cause the TM even if it does not have a direct lineage to screen used armor, it is the ONLY ANH kit available that has no duplicated parts and or reversed engineering.

For me, even if fan made, TM armor is the most accurate and therefore the accurate that resemble the most what I have printed in my mind since I first saw SW.

having said that, I would love to someday get an RS kit too.

The AP armor is not a bad choice either. My trooping armor is a TE2, which in many ways is similar to AP (in some others is very different though).

Having build about half a dozen armors and probably around 20-25 helmets, I have found that to look right, the armor has to be build closer the the wearers body than lose. But also, if you use similar measurements and proportions as seen on screen, the armor looks way better, but of course you will need to have a similar build as actors in the movie.

But... fit will go a long way even if not completely accurate.

I for instance built an FX some years ago and made it fit snug around my body, the armor looked really good, compared to other builds of similar kits and similar builds of troopers.

Here is a picture of that armor:

post-1761-0-55058500-1380036805_thumb.pn

In my TE2 armor, I followed exact measurements to make it look as close as possible as screen used armor. In some parts as thights it fits snug, in some others as biceps it is lose. Overall it looks good I think.

Here is a picture:

post-1761-0-52884300-1380036953_thumb.jp

In my current TM Build, I am trying to go as close as possible to the techniques used to put the armor together in '76, it does feels better than the TE2, but there are issues with my arms too. I have very skinny arms. :(

post-1761-0-78797200-1380037061_thumb.jp

So, what I want to say is... make it fit as close as possible to both your body and the screen seen proportion. It is a balance between both. But tighter armor will probably look better than lose one.

Hope it helps... I tend to go on and on with explanations and end up somewhere completely different than what was asked in the first place, but...

Saludos.

Juan

Wow so much armor! Good advice. Yeah, as you may have noted, i'm a little confused about how it should really fit. It appears I have more meat than many , and i'm trying to adjust accordingly.

I also have more grey hair! Literally.

By meat I mean muscle, obviously.

I say the RS are the best choice out there, because its the only armor casted from a original screen used 1977 star wars a new hope suit. Both armor and helmet, and as first generation cast. In glossy ABS whit sharp detail. Very hard to beat, and so far the best out there if you ask me.

(Been on the marked for around a year or so)

Ap 1983 star wars return of the jedi body armor modify trying to be made into a new hope armor, the face plate on the helmet should be a 3 or more generation cast from the TE line helmet... i think, not sure about the back and cap... but its not the same as the ANH helmet back and cap.

Still a nice armor, made in solid glossy abs just like the mighty RS. But not as ANH accurate as the RS.

(AP is an older suit from around 10 year back)

TM is a ANH fan made suit and very accurate, some of the parts fit better vs. the original ANH suit, and therefor more easy to assemble for many i guess.

(TM have develop through years of work over the last 8 years or more)

RS and TM are about the same price, AP is cheaper to about the half of the price vs. the two other great suits.

I have own and assembled full suits like:

FX, GF, AP, TE2, Cap-W, TM, RS

This is just my point of view, every one must find whats best for them self out there in this big armor jungle :woot:

Troop on :thumbsup:

Just a word here,,,,remember TM and RS are butt jounts,,a touch harder to build,,,,both good sets,, you have to be 5‘8" and 165 to 170 lbs to have it fit right out of the box,,,i love my RS but also i like my RT Mod becouse i feel able to move

I'll be TM soon. apologies to the RS loyalists out there. Troopermaster's armor looks great and he has good customer service in followup. I was kidding about body size. I think all I need to do is widen a few cover strips and stop whining.

I can't add that much to this debate except that I love my RS Sandie. It's my first ever armour and I can't see me going anywhere else. I ordered it early May this year, arrived 6 weeks later, got cleared 2 weeks after that no problem and got deployed a week after that no problem. The guys at RS are great, built it for me with measurements I gave them via email. I'm 6'3" and medium build. Finally looking forward to meeting them at Comic Con this November in Birmingham , UK. :-)

Both are good for trooping....pvc it a harder less giving product..But pvc is a nice white that looks good...with the rs abs it is an off white that you cant see unless your right next to a white one...you will see...but both are good,,,,