A Quick Question about the ANH-Accurate Thight Pieces:

maj_hassel

I have a trooper kit built by *AP* and, according to the instructions, for screen accuracy it says to use velcro on the back of the thigh pieces and a 7/8" strip of ABS over the front seam.

I did the strip method for the front but am wavering about how I'm going to close the back.

How many of you who own a non-FX kit have done this as opposed to gluing the back seam?

Did the real, on-screen TKs have velcro holding the back of their thigh pieces together?

I could easily go either way, but I'm curious as to the most popular method.

TIA for any input!!

Not "qualified" , but I would think that because all of the 'trooper actors were so thin anyway, that everything was glued. I doesn't look like any of the suits had any velcro at all except *maybe* the tops of the shins because you couldn't get your feet through them sealed. My opinions.

The thighs on the real ANH suit's are glued at the back.They were butted up and a strip about 3/4" held them together.The AP suit has the strip moulded as part of the armour just like an ROTJ suit,but I'd cut the strip half the thickness on both halves and cover with a new seperate strip.

The fronts were butted up as well and a strip covering the joint.Same goes for the front of the shins.The backs had a strip glued onto the outer halves of the shins and were left open.You can see some of the troopers in Mos Eisley have white gaffer tape holding the shins closed

-Paul.

The thighs on the real ANH suit's are glued at the back.They were butted up and a strip about 3/4" held them together.The AP suit has the strip moulded as part of the armour just like an ROTJ suit,but I'd cut the strip half the thickness on both halves and cover with a new seperate strip.

The fronts were butted up as well and a strip covering the joint.Same goes for the front of the shins.The backs had a strip glued onto the outer halves of the shins and were left open.You can see some of the troopers in Mos Eisley have white gaffer tape holding the shins closed

-Paul.

Thanks!!Time to start cutting some more ABS....

• 1 month later...

1).In ANH there are some troopers there have 12 holes on the arms and others have only 11 holes. Its seen to me that its the sandtroopers there are on the 12 holes, and the storm troopers has only 11 holes.

2).The shoulders are diffrent as well. Its seem to me thats the stripe goes straight down on the sandtroopers. And goes down and a little bit to the right and left on the storm trooper.

3).All so the head top on the helmet are diffrent. Looks to me that all the sandtroopers has a more wide round head top aka stunt helmet (flat green linces).

And the storm trooper has both. The stunt look. And the HERO look smaller head top on the sides and both bobble and flat green linces.

And off cause all that other stuff we all ready know. The stribes on/off on the helmet. diffrent knee. Stripes on/off the shoulder. The box stripes on/off on the belly. Boxes on/off and so on.

My own armor is a GF/AP anh stunt armor.

1.Both stormtrooper and sandtrooper forearms are the same.The left arm has 11 holes and the right has 12 holes.Some troopers wear them on different arms or wear 2 left forearms or 2 rights.I think it was a case of 'grab what you can' for the actors.

2.Again,stormtrooper and sandtrooper shoulder bells are the same.One side has a straight strip and the other bell has a strip with a flare on the end.Some troopers have no flare on both and some have flared bells.

3.All the helmets look different due to their assembly.I beleive the hero helmets were pulled from a modified mould and slightly wider and some of the details slightly softer,especially the mouth area.

-Paul.

1.Both stormtrooper and sandtrooper forearms are the same.The left arm has 11 holes and the right has 12 holes.Some troopers wear them on different arms or wear 2 left forearms or 2 rights.I think it was a case of 'grab what you can' for the actors.

2.Again,stormtrooper and sandtrooper shoulder bells are the same.One side has a straight strip and the other bell has a strip with a flare on the end.Some troopers have no flare on both and some have flared bells.

3.All the helmets look different due to their assembly.I beleive the hero helmets were pulled from a modified mould and slightly wider and some of the details slightly softer,especially the mouth area.

-Paul.

SECOND THAT COMPLETLY!

i´ve done lot´s of research over the last year and Paul is absolutly right.

exspecially with this "grap what you can" theory.

After all i know only the hero-suits of mark hamill (and maybe the hero-suit of harrison ford) had parts that were only used for them...

as for the moulds, i don´t know if the secret of the original moulds will ever be cleared, but i also believe that there had been at least two different/similiar moulds with minor flaws on one mould like the mouth/vocoder area...

Oh me againg. I have the anh AP armor. And got the stripes on my legs, arms and biceps to hold the parts together. But the question is: Do the sandtroopers/stormtroopers in anh have the stripes on there biceps, i have problem whit get a clean photo of the biceps.

All the ANH troopers have the strips on the arms and legs,because that is what is holding them together.They do not overlap in any way,just butted up and then the strip glued on holding the two halves together.Only the back of the calves/shins were left open.They had a strip glued to the outer parts only and then they could be slipped on easily.

All the ANH troopers have the strips on the arms and legs,because that is what is holding them together.They do not overlap in any way,just butted up and then the strip glued on holding the two halves together.Only the back of the calves/shins were left open.They had a strip glued to the outer parts only and then they could be slipped on easily.

Thank for the quick reply on this again my friend. I will say you live up to the name, troopermaster all the way. By the way very very NICE!!! things on your site. Great work trooper. Have a nice day

I was at Disney/MGM studios last weekend and they have an original TK and Vader costumes on display in the "backlot tour" giftshop .The TK thighs were glued and the calves we velcro.Although everyone is trying to be cannon ,Its a fact that our armor still is way better than the originals .I was kinda bumbed by the condition of the armor, the chest plate was very wavy and the helmet was way out of shape. I'm thinking that it might have been stunt armor. But it was cool to see it.

As far as reference pics, I'll get tons of pics this weekend when I'm there again doing Star Wars Weekends.

I have lots of pics of that suit and it is a really bad recast.I'm not sure who made it,but it really is terrible isn't it Definately not an original.

Yea ,it looks like crap! It said it was original and it looks old as dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there some one who knows the fact about the sandtrooper belly.

We all know to 2 boxes are not there, like the stormtroopers.

But to me it seems like some sandtroopers have 3 dots, on the smallest box.

As far as i know only 3 sandtroopers in anh where made this way.

Get some plastic and cut out 3 circles then stick them onto a strip about 3/4 of the length of the strip on the armour.If you wanted to get creative,you could cut the slot out on the bottom of the strip.That would require abit of back filling but would make your armour more accurate