Crotch Snaps and CRL issues

Caomhanach

I have a question that is best raised here... On a recent deployed approval, the comment was made...

@ Simon - Just following the 'armor / gear' requirements per the MEPD CRL, My Friend. http://www.mepd.net/crl/

Also. the crotch snaps pic has been a requirement for the past couple of years now. (Per Command Staff)

Crotch snaps... Per the CRL, they are only required on the SWAT only, and not on the regular delpoyed, correct? I know most will probably do them anyway but why is it in the list of requirements for deployed officers?

So another question is how much of the SWAT Officer requirements are being pushed back onto the Deployed Officer (cough - rivet edge - cough)?

Is this mission creep? Are we surreptitiously raising the Deployed Officer bar?

Well. We, as a community, have raised the bar for deployment submissions naturally. Meaning that nowadays most police officer submissions include several, if not all, the mods required for SWAT.

That is awesome and a thing to be very proud of. But, that doesnt mean that police officer or its CRL have been modified.

Truth is that any trooper that has all the CRL requirements is good to go for clearance. You know that swat CRL is actually really basic compared to the actual evaluation. In a lesser way, so is police officer evaluation.

But that is only possible because the spirit we share here on the MEPD, and because troopers are willing to go through these evaluations.

You can be deployed by just meeting the requirements no prob, and it will keep being that way, but almost every single trooper applying for either badge has proven to not be willing to settle for any less than the previous submission. So an unofficial standard is created by the members, a standard that specially for SWAT keeps increasing with each and every submission

So yes, the community is pushing up the bar and eventually the CRL will need to be changed. But we are not doing that just yet or doing it for the wrong reasons.

Because yes, the purpose of this and every detachment t is to raise the bar for each character portrayal.

Hope that makes sense and is clear!

Saludos.

Juan.

I think my point is is that any candidate can come to request deployment fully compliant with the CRL yet still be requested to make changes that are not listed in the CRL... A few I the last ones have had comments on the crotch snaps, specifically noted and requested to be seen, and one to do a mod on their armor for the rivet edge spacing to 10mm, neither of which are in the CRL...

So, should the Deployment Officer requested to see it or even request the change? No, but he did and the candidates did the change (or had done so already)... You can't request unofficial changes, they need to be in the CRL or not asked for... I admire the effort to raise the bar but it needs to be done by the book and through the CRL as that is the requirements laid down by the detachment...

You are 100% right on that.

Let us talk about those requests backstage and set a standard. But yeah, the CRL is the rule we must follow and if it is not enough according to our members we can modify it, but even then, the standard should only be what it states.

Thx fir bringing that into our attention.

Saludos.

One more thing:

I do think it is the job of the DO to point out areas where any armor can be improved beyond the CRL or any standard. That might be digested at any time of the evaluation even after granting the badge.

That, on the other hand, should not be taken as a requirement by either the trooper or the DO but we should keep giving those comments, cause that is one if the sources for costume improvement and raising the bar as a detachment.

Trust everyone will agree on that.

:)

Saludos.

This is actually a pretty simple fix. I personally haven't seen anyone delayed on their police officer status based on non required CRL changes. However, I can see where the suggested appear to be required. Going forward we will have to keep to the specific CRL checklist for police officers requests. thanks for the heads up brother.

Thanks all... Didn't want to cause fuss... Just wanted to bring some attention to it in case their is a future problem... I will say this, the standards have definitely been raised in general regardless of the CRL as people are probably looking to SWAT as well... Great job to everyone...

Thanks for the heads up, Mike! :thumbsup:

Agreed. The CRL is the checklist we should all follow. Although I've noticed that there have been subtle changes in the requirements that haven't been updated.

I brought up the crotch snaps (during standard deployment reviews) because around the time I was deployed (2011), recruits were starting to be asked to show this detail. I followed suit and just assumed that item held up. This was way before the SWAT program too. (Could it be that we all were subconsciously hoping for extra credit?) :woot:

Anyway, I think that we all just started doing it at that point as we followed previous Deployed Officers and I just carried that with me when I was appointed D.O. It was not my intention to blindly ask recruits to have this detail.

I just assumed it was a requirement and I'll be the first to admit the mistake. The positive is that it doesn't hurt to have it right? haha :P

With that said, it will be optional, of course. I'll make sure of that on future submissions.

It appears that many of the newer recruits are itching to go SWAT now, so it might be a good idea to just get that out of the way. lol

Also, I just wanted to add that since we now have better resources for pouches, there is no reason why recruits can't have them from the start.

Bottom line is that It's great to see how much more accurate the TDs are looking whether the member is Officer or SWAT!

And again, we have never turned any applicant away. That's what makes this detachment so special. We want everyone to become an Officer. But we want them to look their best and we will work each and every one of them every step of the way to make sure of it. :td::yes:

The problem with the CRL's is..if you want to make a really good sandtrooper with the option to make it ready for SWAT later, that you stumble over some things, that is not compatible between the standard 501st CRL's and the SWAT CRL's. In the recent times I've seen a few such examples.....

I hope that you guys can this manage :)

Also, I just wanted to add that since we now have better resources for pouches, there is no reason why recruits can't have them from the start.

What pouches are currently allowed for

1 - basic 501st

2. deployed

3. SWAT

I know SWAT has to be the exact match of the right pouch.

for Basic 501st and MEPD deployed - can a French Pouch still be allowed? ( I think i remember a MEPD deployed thread a few months ago with a French pouch)

Well,

For 501st clearsance the French pouch would do, but not for police officer. I can't remember any more than maybe 2 troopers being deployed with it in the last 3 years or so.

I know when I started as DO that was one of the things that Bluey, Rick and I worked to get out if the CRL with a wording similar to "correct pouches" or something.

Will check the CRL.

Hope that helps.

Saludos.

What pouches are currently allowed for

1 - basic 501st

AMMO POUCHES: Two or three in total, made of black leather, black or dark green canvas or black vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron.

2. deployed

Specific ammo pouches. Reproduction or original MP-40 ammo pouches are generally considered canon, made in either canvas or leather. Other acceptable names/designs include Stolla Wien, and the once common “Norwegian” green MP-40 pouches (shown – only acceptable for the shoulder pouch), made in leather. If using a green pouch for the shoulder they should be dyed or painted black or dark green.

3. SWAT

Exact match to the trooper you are replicating

I know SWAT has to be the exact match of the right pouch.

for Basic 501st and MEPD deployed - can a French Pouch still be allowed? ( I think i remember a MEPD deployed thread a few months ago with a French pouch)