Plasti-dip and HIPS

zaptrooper

Hi guys this is my very first thread here so it will have to serve as an introduction as well as asking my question so it might get long-winded.

My name is Rob and I am brand new to Star Wars costuming although I have done a killer Jack Sparrow and Wolverine X-1 in the past. Just joined my local garrison and have been spending time on whitearmor.net and here as well looking for tips and tutorials that relate to my upcoming TK Incinerator build.

Ive seen some excellent tutorials on weathering and pouches here that I plan on using.

My question is, I've seen more HIPS builds here than on white armor and I'm wondering if anyone has tried plasti-dip brushed on the inside of HIPS armor to make it more durable? Do you guys think thats worth looking into or will even work?

Ive read about someone using an old shirt and cyano-acrylate as a patch for a tear but Im trying to be a little more proactive than that. My HIPS armor has already been ordered.

Thanks in advance for your help on this and your replies.Really looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of this.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the mepd, mate.

Although I'm aware of plasti-dip, I've never used it. However, I'm on the understanding that its not permanent, is that correct? If so, I'd say that your best bet for repairs is to use abs behind any broken sections to reinforce it and then use a filler (if its a big crack or split) and paint.

Hips, as we all know, can weaken over time and end up being quite brittle. I've seen many troopers who have experienced this and at the worst time possible. So my advice would be to get a sheet of abs for repairs. ;)

I use what we call devco plastic welder. Which is a plastic epoxy.

I use this on high stress areas, and on places that are thin or weak. This stuff is permanent though, and tougher than nails. I just coat the inside of what I am working on.

I use what we call devco plastic welder. Which is a plastic epoxy.

I use this on high stress areas, and on places that are thin or weak. This stuff is permanent though, and tougher than nails. I just coat the inside of what I am working on.

Looks like the bi-component resin I used to bond the DDs blasters...but much stronger :thumbsup:

i have used plasti dip at my old job,...it dries almost like rubber,but, i wouldnt say it would be durable enough for repairing/strenghtening hips plastic dude ! ..... my armour is hips too, there are a few ways you can go here for repairs ..... #1 - super glue and rag inside to strengthen, #2 - glue thin strips of abs around the "weak points" of the armour pieces (eg; neck line of chest and edges of all armour parts,,and ,also all the return edges too! - they are the weak points! )....or, as i have recently done...... i used fibre glass matting and low styrene ,polyester resin around the weak areas mentioned above, to strengthen them up ! ...... hips gives a nice,sharp pull,but the down side to it is- it is susceptable to weakening with u.v light and stress........ hence, mine is forever cracking /failing on me at trooping events !!!! ...you just end up doing repair job after repair job - a seemingly endless task for me ! ! .......the fibreglass has added more weight to my armour,,and i still have to test it out yet to see if it is the best option,as ive already tried the other two ,so i dont know as yet whether its gonna work ! .....basically,my next armour will be "good old,trusty" ABS ! :thumbsup: