PAX 2013 Costume Assistance Needed!

Orall

Now that my sandtrooper is nearing completion, my brain is going...what next? For this next PAX, I want to be very ambitious, and I would love input and assistance.

I want to create D0G from Half-Life 2. For those that are not familiar, its this:

Posted Image

I want to do a near-scale model (7 feet) standing. I plan to run tension cabling to animate the six fingers, and I plan to have a welded steel rod in the forearms to support my body weight, with sticking out handles. Primary components will be PVC piping with pink foam body. The back will be mounted to a large camping backpack, with an A frame to support the arm connections. The head will be a "helmet" for me to animate with head motions. Legs will be foam and PVC. To top it all off, I'll install a red LED for the eye.

Drawing:

Posted Image

With operator:

Posted Image

Challenges:

"Ball" joints for the arm shoulder parts. UPDATE: solution reached

Running tension cable.

LED wiring.

Anyone want to help or give input?

Weekly update!

I spent a few hours talking with my team about how to create D0G and we made some real conceptual progress.

Extend hips portion out, to give the illusion of the character being hunched, while still maintaining an upright posture for me.

Less emphasis on weight bearing forearms. Lighter materials only were stessed to me.

Buying used external frame backpack today to begin shoulder construction.

I'll post initial build pictures soon. BTW MEPD is the site where all my progress will be shown. Exclusive!