Sandtrooper Armor Side Gaps

sportsanchor

I am looking to contact somebody who can create the left and right armor side gaps for my sandy ab-plate.

Here's the criteria laid out by the folks at MEPD as to what they're looking for in terms of accuracy.

• Armor side gaps should be closed or nearly closed; no more than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) gap on either side. This should be done by adding a shim or shims of material that must be of similar material and color as the ab and back plate. Shims should fit flush and may have seams. Ideally they will be seamless if possible to the ab and/or back plate, resulting in a single seam between the ab/back rather than extra seams for where the shims are joined.
  • Rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates: a total of six rivets with three on the ab and three on the kidney plate, equally spaced out along the depth of the armour and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not.
  • One snap on the top right hand side oft he ab plate: back of male side of snap should show on outside of ab plate.
Maybe it would be easier for me to purchase a new ab plate with the side gaps already attached.

I'm working toward trying to pass "muster" for SWAT so I will need extreme attention to screen accuracy.

Some direction from you guys would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

post-239-0-93883000-1335658278_thumb.jpg

My armor is done. I just have to apply these side gaps to make it more screen accurate. Is these a tutorial somewhere? Dirty Boy, can you give us a step by step checklist of what to do and what materials we'll need?

Many of us just use extra ABS material or "for sale" sign plastic to fabricate the side gaps. My armor had about a 2" gap on either side, so I cut 4" wide pieces and attached using industrial strength velcro. You can attach using snaps, rivets, or E6000 if you prefer. On mine, about 1" overlaps onto ab and kidney piece. Just make the height of the piece match the height of your kidney piece.

The rivets can be functional, or like mine, they can be just cosmetic... they don't hold anything together since I have the velcro. The nice thing about velcro is that it flexes when you are trooping and can be adjusted later if your gap gets bigger ;-)

Good luck!