Darth Aloha's Alley Check Captain Research Thread

DarthAloha

Hey... does anyone know if there is electrical tape around the trays of the alley check orange pauldron captain?

I've been trying to see it on the DVD for longer than I am willing to admit... but it's too dark even with zoom and enhance. Click on image for larger version:

post-3893-0-43334100-1354426564_thumb.jp

As a side note this trooper seems to have minimal weathering... but I'll start another thread about that another time.

Aloha and thanks,

-Eric

Good question, Eric

The 'Falcon Takeoff: Alleyway' Capt pack has all black painted Boxes top and bottom, but the 'Door to Door Search' Capt pack # 3 details need to be confirmed. I don't know right off the top of my head. We'll check on that one!

If anyone has confirmation on this either way, please chime in! Thanks!

* This TD has the white gaffers tape around the shin / calf area and ankles on both legs. Just a little detail to keep an eye out for if going SWAT later with this selection.

Yeah... hmm.. his weathering is also tough to make out. Looks really minimal. And the brow looks normal.

I may not have been too specific... I meant to ask about the gaffer or wide electrical tape around the box under the siphon... not the cross cross electrical tape. My pack has the criss cross already from Rick but no black gorilla/gaffer/duct type tape.

I'm just putting together a helmet and my armor is still TBD.... so there is still time to decide which version I'm doing but these are my constraints:

• No BFG any time soon
  • Pack #3
  • Orange pauldron
That pretty much means Falcon Takeoff or Alley Check captain because I want to do a non move along TD.

I need to get my hands on a computer with a bluray player for better screen shots.

Thanks guys,

-Eric

No worries, Eric!

I knew what you meant, I'm sure Rick did too. :yes:

The thin an thick black tape strips on the bottom was what was assumed.

The tough thing to figure out is that for the bottom seed trays on this TD, they are painted all black. So if there were evidence of the electrical tape (prob not, since that was a repair job) one couldn't tell anyway from footage or pics.

But, I'm with you...the MOVE ALONG TD has probably been attempted enough. Don't get me wrong, If our current deployed officers would like to attempt it, then by all means, please do.

MOVE ALONG is still great to see, but enough of our deployed officers have discovered most of the details needed for SWAT. The result is that new TDs wishing to emulate the MOVE ALONG for SWAT will have all the info right in front of them and would no longer need to do research and discovery. They can just follow the blueprints of the past SWAT guys.

I myself am going for the Pack # 4 Black Pauldron TD, but which one? We shall see! My fellow 66er, Robert is attempting the Roadblock Pouch TD.

Anyway, If I find any more reference pics in regards toy your TD, I'll be sure to forward them to you, cool?

Good luck, Brudda!

:thumbsup:

The tough thing to figure out is that for the bottom seed trays on this TD, they are painted all black. So if there were evidence of the electrical tape (prob not, since that was a repair job) one couldn't tell anyway from footage or pics.

Oh that's interesting. Where is the evidence of the black seed trays? Is this pack seen on another trooper another time? If so I'll go grab caps from that scene too :)

Anyway, If I find any more reference pics in regards toy your TD, I'll be sure to forward them to you, cool?

Good luck, Brudda!

:thumbsup:

Sounds good to me. In the mean time I'm trying to find a way to rip the bluray so I can watch it on my mac for better screen shots of this trooper.

In the mean time in playing with the brightness and exposure the cross cross electrical tape seems to be present on this pack making it the same as move along no? Would that then make the seed trays blue? (I hope so because that's how Rick built it) Click on the image for a full sized version.

Posted Image

Aloha and thanks!

-Eric

Yes, although the pack is considered a # 3 Pack (MOVE ALONG), there are noticeable variations of this particular design.

Check the Captain's pack on the TD at FALCON TAKEOFF (bottom left) While the 'cross' deisgn electrical tape is present on the upper left tool box, It appears that the bottom seed trays are painted all black.

Below that is another screen cap of the TD you're researching. A little faint, but the color on the bottom seed trays appear black, as well.

Hope these help, my friend!

Rolf, Rick and Command Staff will most likely chime in on this too.

We'll do our best to make sure our MEPD Officers are as accurate as can be! :td::thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess its just black gaffa we see on the trays add one quick to hold them together, but not 100% sure if there are a elastic black tape a like out there used back then in ANH.

Just remember that the falcon take off captain has all 4 trays black.

The captain at the droid door alley check up has 3 black trays, but 1 blue.

Troop on :thumbsup:

I guess its just black gaffa we see on the trays add one quick to hold them together, but not 100% sure if there are a elastic black tape a like out there used back then in ANH.

Just remember that the falcon take off captain has all 4 trays black.

The captain at the droid door alley check up has 3 black trays, but 1 blue.

Troop on :thumbsup:

Thanks Rolf. Now I'm on the hunt now for photographic evidence for 3 black trays and 1 blue. Do you know which tray is blue?

The falcon takeoff captain clearly has move along weathering. I hope to also capture the alley check captain's weathering the best I can. Not an easy task.

Thanks dudes,

-Eric

**** Rolf. I've been trying to get a look at him for a few days via DVD but its always been so dark. That saves me a ton of time. I admit that I totally missed that detail in your first photo. This photo also shows a very heavily weathered pack.

Was there only one pack #3?

There also seems to be a short version of the lab pipe on the left side of this pack... looks shorter than packs 1,2,4 and 5.

Posted Image

-Eric

(FYI I'm renaming this thread and moving it somewhere else)

**** Rolf. I've been trying to get a look at him for a few days via DVD but its always been so dark. That saves me a ton of time. I admit that I totally missed that detail in your first photo. This photo also shows a very heavily weathered pack.

Was there only one pack #3?

There also seems to be a short version of the lab pipe on the left side of this pack... looks shorter than packs 1,2,4 and 5.

Posted Image

-Eric

(FYI I'm renaming this thread and moving it somewhere else)

I think we have four of the pack # 3 packs versions.

1. Door alley check captain = 3 black trays 1 blue:

Posted Image

2. Move a long road block = 2 blue trays 2 black trays:

Posted Image

3. Look sir droinds sergeant = 2 blue trays 2 black trays/ no black gaffa tape on the blue trays:

Posted Image

4. Captain alley looking at the falcon taken off = 4 black trays:

Posted Image

Move a long.... move a long... :td:

I poached this from another thread.....

Pete,

If you look at myself and Dave Harris's SWAT submissions, we both opted for the "Stop That Ship" Squad Leader and there are some good references on our SWAT build threads. The STS trooper was also the Cantina Squad Leader and the alley check Squad Leader.

Nick

Doh. So does that mean that alley check captain has the skull weathering like STS and cantina captain... as well a joker frown helmet?

-Eric

I lost my mind tonight. Bigtime.

I took my ANH DVD, ripped it into a 720p quicktime file and brought it into final cut. With the slowing, zooming and brightening effects I think I've determined that the alley check captain does have the same weathering as the Cantina and STS captains.

Here is the movie I made. It is 100 mb and has slow mo and zooming of this captain.

Here are some screen shots (click on an image to see it full size):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The chest of that guy looks a lot like this dude right here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's also a good shot in the video of the pack that shows the lab pipe clearly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thoughts on the chest weathering?

This clears nothing up about the helmet of course... which doesn't look to be very weathered at all. Nor does it show a joker frown or crack on the tube. Maybe once I get a bluray rip of the movie I'll be able to zoom in more betterer on the helmet details.

-Eric

The weathering around the ab belly section looks a like as well on two captains :thumbsup:

Ayup.

Looks like the pacific outpost is going to have two sizes of this trooper since Nick has a deployed Cantina Captain getting read for SWAT.

I have a helmet that is about to go together. It's trimmed but not assembled. I really want to get my hands on a bluray rip to zoom and enhance the bucket on this captain before I start painting/weathering.

Thanks for all your help guys,

-Eric

Okey... I'm very close to putting the fasteners in my Alley Check Captain helmet and I want to get the brow right. I decided to focus my efforts on what I can see with a low res rip of the bluray (downloaded) and the DVD rip I made.

Here's a very slow mo look at the helmet... slower mo than the first video I posted. You can download the 14 mb quicktime directly from here or look at the lower res youtube below. I suggest downloading the quicktime of course.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnUj-z73jNw

Here is a photographic comparison of Stop that Ship and Alley check. STS is in red and Alley Check is in blue. Click on the image for a full sized version.

Posted Image

This makes me think that both helmets are the same or similar in brow shape. And really that's all I care about right now before I start drilling holes in my helmet.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a very very high res rip of the bluray to see if I can spot the joker frown. The more I look at the lower res movie screen captures the more I start to see a joker frown that may not be there. More on this later.

Aloha,

-Eric