Helmet Padding

theGreatSot

I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a picture of the star shaped foam padding on the inside of the original ANH helmets. Does any one have a picture or a template that they could post? I can't remember if the flower shape has three petals or four.

3/4 maybe, depending on whats comfy for your melon.

I've got a foam pad that I'm not using on my bed that I'm cutting up and using for padding in the helmet and other places. It looks to be a fuzz less than an inch or so, but **** its comfy! I think I like it better than a hard hat liner. Don't know about keeping it though, as I'm thinking that it's going to absorb a lot of sweat and start to be rather smelly...

the foam star, although used in the movie lids, doesn't really hold the lid on your melon very well. My SDS came with it and it kinda sits on your head with no side grippage so kinda wobbles around like a bobble head. it also meant my eyes were looking into bottom ridge of the eye holes. i've now used a combination of foam strips and knee pads covered in a non slip matting. s'well comfy and i can see out the eye holes now

There was some kits out there somewhere like that above, and I think they were made up from knee pads cut up. I have seen them in builders yards made from black poly foam and they look a lot like the above.

As a side note....does anyone in the UK know where to get the yellow foam from, or even a US supplier?

Sorry, thats the Blade Runner fan in me.

Troopermaster- I think the problem with the foam is that it is actually white, and turns yellow after being exposed to air and sun for a while. The guy who is doing the pauldrons gets it in rolls for re-upholstering cars, I can ask him where he gets it from. Although, it may be just as easy to seek out white instead of yellow. On the rolls in his shop you can see that it started out white, but the stuff toward the outside of the roll has turned the same yellow as the real helmet stars.

the foam star, although used in the movie lids, doesn't really hold the lid on your melon very well.

I think that the chin strap that the originals had will counter the bobble head factor. Haven't tried it yet as the foam padding in my helmet is working great.

I bought some at walmart that turned yellow after a week or two. They have it in the craft isle...

Troopermaster- I think the problem with the foam is that it is actually white, and turns yellow after being exposed to air and sun for a while. The guy who is doing the pauldrons gets it in rolls for re-upholstering cars, I can ask him where he gets it from. Although, it may be just as easy to seek out white instead of yellow. On the rolls in his shop you can see that it started out white, but the stuff toward the outside of the roll has turned the same yellow as the real helmet stars.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what thickness the foam is in the original helmets, but I ordered a "Foam Bed Topper" (Twin size, 1" thick, B-Grade) from this place:

http://www.knoxfoam.com/

They also have 2" and 3" thickness but that seems too thick to me. The photo on their website shows an accurate yellowed color, but when I received mine it was white. However, it is starting to turn yellow now. Don't know if that's from aging or light exposure.

They don't ship international, though.

It's pretty easy to cut it up into the star (or flower) shape.

-Todd

• 1 year later...

As a side note....does anyone in the UK know where to get the yellow foam from, or even a US supplier?

Paul,

Did you manage to source any foam, as I am now looking for some too and most of thefoam is blue!

Cheers, Scott