Crystal Patrol Field Pack discussion topic

dutchy

Hey troops,

Before I start with this thread, is there anyone who has or knows a trooper with a completed Kyber pack? if so, post pictures of it here and a tutorial of how to build one.

The only thing I know about it that a so called "Alice backpack" was used for the base of this fieldpack.

Amongst the additional parts is a RAF gearhook, which is placed on the right strap facing forward.

An antenna, a pice of tubing and the part that is most in your face, the (mortar)rack on the back.

Looking forward to an interesting conversation! :duim:

Myself (Paul Prentice) and Ireachy (Ian Reach) have been studying, researching and recreating an accurate reproduction of the Rogue One Crystal Patrol; Pack for over a year now and we are happy to help you build an accurate thread for it on here. There has been a long standing thread over on FISD however photo bucket has taken a lot of pictures down. The thread is also available here on facebook  here https://www.facebook.com/rogueonetkbackpack/ Below is a picture of my current pack which features the longer antenna (there are 2 versions of the antenna shown on screen and in other reference imagery)

21370955_812868575558949_481367398620375

We have painstakingly deconstructed the pack and rebuilt it from the ground up identifying different webbing that has been replaced and even identifying the correct fishing rod used for the antenna. We are still improving and researching parts of the pack and continuing to attempt to make an exact replication of the packs seen onscreen.

21105819_810229142489559_9061636024242194144_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Thank you so much Paul! We would love to get a nice build thread on here so people can build their own. 

The Facebook page is immensely helpful! 

Hi, I can pull all our work from the FB page and construct a thread on here if that would be of use. It may take a couple of weeks to complete but I am happy to shift it all over here as this is now the home of the Crystal Pack.

Just now, mr paul said:

Hi, I can pull all our work from the FB page and construct a thread on here if that would be of use. It may take a couple of weeks to complete but I am happy to shift it all over here as this is now the home of the Crystal Pack.

That would be so great! Thank you. We are trying to spread the word that these new packs live over here now. Hopefully we can get someone with the armor and pack to be our model. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

That would be so great! Thank you. We are trying to spread the word that these new packs live over here now. Hopefully we can get someone with the armor and pack to be our model. 

Not many folks, if any have completed that armour build yet. I believe Jim Tripon is offering his version of the armour for sale and a few are building as we speak. The pack itself is a fantastic piece and one of the only modern SW props that still uses all real world, found objects to build it. So far we have identified nearly all the parts of the pack except for a couple of pieces that we are still working on such as the weather shroud and the antenna tip.

The parts of the pack to date include the RAF quick release clip, M75 Swedish back pack frame, LC1/LC2 alice pack, woodland camouflage padded shoulder straps, metal slider buckles from Ebay, polypropylene webbing, cotton canvas webbing, Norwegian grenade case, Avanti Precision X 12ft float rod, surgical tubing, antenna tip and 25mm cam lock buckles.

This can all be listed with vendors in the thread I will post. Some of the items are now very hard to find such as the fishing rod which is now obsolete (I have researched alternative rods that may serve as a good fill in until the original can be sourced on the secondary market) . The RAF clips I have a stash of and if any one wants any for a build I can supply them. The ammo box is becoming increasingly difficult to acquire and prices have soared.

Various techniques have been used to colour/dye and weather the pack and we have done our best to find ways to best mimic what was seen in various displays and on screen etc.

It is a thing of beauty once built and really has a presence about it. Weighing in at at somewhere between 6-7kg when complete it is a beast to wear on long troops as well.

• Upvote 1

Not many folks, if any have completed that armour build yet. I believe Jim Tripon is offering his version of the armour for sale and a few are building as we speak. The pack itself is a fantastic piece and one of the only modern SW props that still uses all real world, found objects to build it. So far we have identified nearly all the parts of the pack except for a couple of pieces that we are still working on such as the weather shroud and the antenna tip.

The parts of the pack to date include the RAF quick release clip, M75 Swedish back pack frame, LC1/LC2 alice pack, woodland camouflage padded shoulder straps, metal slider buckles from Ebay, polypropylene webbing, cotton canvas webbing, Norwegian grenade case, Avanti Precision X 12ft float rod, surgical tubing, antenna tip and 25mm cam lock buckles.

This can all be listed with vendors in the thread I will post. Some of the items are now very hard to find such as the fishing rod which is now obsolete (I have researched alternative rods that may serve as a good fill in until the original can be sourced on the secondary market) . The RAF clips I have a stash of and if any one wants any for a build I can supply them. The ammo box is becoming increasingly difficult to acquire and prices have soared.

Various techniques have been used to colour/dye and weather the pack and we have done our best to find ways to best mimic what was seen in various displays and on screen etc.

It is a thing of beauty once built and really has a presence about it. Weighing in at at somewhere between 6-7kg when complete it is a beast to wear on long troops as well.

I based my build off of Paul original build thread. This is one of the most comfortable packs you will ever wear.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I just want to point out that even though the MEPD detachment is getting this pack, it is actually worn by standard Stormtroopers in the movie, not Sandtroopers. In fact even the troopers stationed on Jedha are officially Stormtroopers according to Lucasfilm/Disney, but that's not even the first place we see the pack being worn. The pack is first shown in one of the opening scenes of the movie at the Ring of Kafrene, it's not a sandy place at all it's a trading outpost. So it would make perfect sense that stormtroopers deployed there would be issued these packs to confiscate any kyber crystals attempted to be illegally traded or sold on the market. The only trooper in this scene can actually be heard identifying himself as "TK-62" using the standard stormtrooper designation TK prefix ON SCREEN! And if you turn on the subtitles the character's official name in the script is "STORMTROOPER 1", the first stormtrooper in the movie. This is also supported by the official Rogue One visual guide, a Lucasfilm licensed publication, as well as other official products and media. Disney/Lucasfilm is clearly presenting this character to the public as a Standard Stormtrooper and so far the 501st is not doing a very good job maintaining that continuity by calling it a Sandtrooper.

This is the scene from the Ring of Kafrene trading outpost.

US88LPG.jpg9HLIZ8J.jpg

This image is from the official Rogue One visual guide. Disney/Lucasfilm licensed publication.

XIJSKXv.jpg

More images from the visual guide. Disney/Lucasfilm licensed publication.

AITMGbT.jpg

kxOR7Xd.png

These images are from the book "Star Wars Stormtroopers Beyond the Armor". A Disney/Lucasfilm licensed publication.

SCNMROR.jpg

F84wdT3.jpg

The TOPPS Star Wars Rogue One Stromtrooper Trading Card. Disney/Lucasfilm licensed product.

GcV9a4s.png

The Hot Toys STORMTROOPER figure set includes Crystal Patrol Duty Pack. Another Lucasfilm licensed product.

Bao4U1y.png

The Hot Toys STORMTROOPER figure set is called “TK-14057” we all know the 'TK' prefix is a standard Stormtrooper designation.pn4Y1qx.png

Techincally speaking, the Sandtroopers in ANH are really supposed to be stormtroopers. They are referenced as both Stormtroopers and Sandtrooper in official merchandising. Lucasfilm is not known for their naming convention consitantsy. As someone who works on official Star Wars merch almost everyday, it’s a toss up as to how to name these different troopers. The general idea is that they are all “Stormtroopers” that includes Biker Scouts, Snowtroopers, and Sandtroopers. They just change up their unifom for their environment, but they are all still regular Stormtroopers. 

I dont see see why both detachments can’t have the pack.

Also, with the MEPD having that trooper you are able to essentially have two detachment approvals with one costume. Just slap on the pack over your R1 armor, add a pauldron and boom, you get to have a TD designation as well as your TK. 

Currently the MEPD has 2 approved CRLs for the first time since the detachment was founded almost 18 years ago.  We are trying to expand and get away from being the “one CRL detachment”. We have 2 more CRLs in the works, including the Jedha troopers (both packs). We are going through a small transition and trying to expand the detachment to have the specialized, deployed Stormtroopers with gear fall under the MEPD. The FISD and MEPD have spent the last year working this out. This is more of a discussion for those higher up the chain than me. But those are my 2 cents. I for one and very happy that the MEPD and FISD can work together on this. We share many members as it is. In the end we are all plastic spacemen just having fun and trying to make kids happy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes I see your point and I agree with you, I guess this has always been the case with Lucasfilm.

I also don't understand why both detachments can't have the pack though, I feel based on all this evidence it should at least be an optional accessory with FISD but that's not my call to make.

I too look forward to FISD and MEPD working together as well as the possibility of getting approved in another detachment with my pack if that ends up being the case.

• Upvote 1

I still think that the first Stormtrooper in the movie wearing the pack while using the ‘TK’ designation ON SCREEN is a pretty big issue that we need to address.

Allowing it as an optional accessory with the new R1 TK might be the simple solution to this issue. After all the visual guide does say this "field-specific kit can expand a standard Stormtrooper's versatility."

17 hours ago, DustyTrooper said:

I still think that the first Stormtrooper in the movie wearing the pack while using the ‘TK’ designation ON SCREEN is a pretty big issue that we need to address.

Allowing it as an optional accessory with the new R1 TK might be the simple solution to this issue. After all the visual guide does say this "field-specific kit can expand a standard Stormtrooper's versatility."

To chime in on this discussion...

The simple fact that they used TK on screen has probably to do with the simple fact that the first trooper ever that got adressed on screen was TK-421.  So that doesn't quite do it for me.

To keep it simple the best and current solution is that both packs are with the MEPD now. Otherwise we will definitely are going to have more discussions and that won't make it easier. So that's why this decision has been made.

And bear in mind that all troopers are in fact TK's and that the prefixes were made up by us, the fans and members of the 501st.

I hope this helps :)

:salute:

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Hahah. See, higher up the chain. Keeping it simple would make it less confusing, that’s true. 

It's not that I'm against changes  but in my opinion it needs to be for the better of the collective and not for the individual.

Therefor, keeping it simple is the way to go. :)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DustyTrooper said:

I have to jump in on this discussion.  This discussion was had in great detail on FISD last summer.  As a Centurion Level HWT, I originally pushed for this to be on FISD, especially since I had built many of the packs.  However, after very lengthy discussions, I agreed that it should be on MEPD.  One of the conclusions we came to was that ALL dirty TK's should be on MEPD (with the exception of the HWT, but that is a different discussion).

If you really want to see all of the details, click on the link below.  This is the full discussion on the topic that I was privy to (as I am not on Command Staff).

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42076-the-types-of-r1-armor-and-where-they-are-going/

23 hours ago, DustyTrooper said:

I also don't understand why both detachments can't have the pack though, I feel based on all this evidence it should at least be an optional accessory with FISD but that's not my call to make.

Part of the issue is that if you allow the pack in both detachments, you essentially get the same costume covered in both detachments.  Which I don't think we do.  I believe it has to go to one or the other, aka the Shoretrooper debate a few years ago.

Also, the TK thing doesn't super bother me.  I mean, we had a big debate over "FN" from The Force Awakens and people wanting to make FO TKs with a new designation.  To me, I think we have enough as is and we just need to decide what detachment this costume can be fully supported and loved

If both of the backpacks from Rogue One will be going to MEPD I feel the official names of these CRL character titles need to be discussed because "Kyber Trooper" and "Jedha Trooper" just don't seem right at all!  I'm sure Sandtroopers are deployed on more planets in the galaxy than just Jedha or Tatooine for that matter, The Sandtrooper packs, armor & accessories weren't designed for one specific location, but rather certain type of environment conditions. We don't currently call TDs "Tatooine Troopers" so I don't know where the term "Jedha Trooper" came from, it just seems wrong to me on more than one level. Although there was one action figure with "Jedha Patrol" written on the packaging but the term 'Jedha Patrol' makes sense in this case as it was a multiple figure set based on the troopers in that scene.
 Just like your classic costume "TD - Sandtrooper - ANH", this one should simply be called "TD - Sandtrooper - R1".  In my humble opinion. It's fits in nicely and coincides with the other costume titles.

And instead of "Kyber Trooper" I think we should also stick to the classic name in official reference material with the addition of the word 'trooper' instead of "duty". I suggest "TD - Crystal Patrol Trooper - R1", again this will coincide with the other costume titles as well as official reference material.

Here are comparison images of the two different packs I've put together. Crystal Patrol Duty Pack on the left, Sandtrooper Type 4 Field Pack on the right.

hzRo9t5.jpg

9OdTxMi.jpg

SMNcTD9.jpg

WPEd5D3.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's not a bad point and shoring up the name is something we could do before the CRL gets submitted.  I've been thinking about it, and we could go with something like "Jedha Sandtrooper" and "Kyber Sandtrooper".  Not sure what everyone thinks.

• Like 1