My custom sculpted lid revisited...

Jonboy2312

Wow, it's been, what, umm... two years since I initially made this thing?

Anyway, over the course of time, when studying photos from various events I trooped in the flaws were becoming more and more obvious to me. Obvious, and annoying. It was the visors, which were shaped a bit wrong, set too deep, their frame on the sides - too thick, the 'teardrops' - wrong, and finally the trapezoids on the temples - too small, on a bad angle, and too square...

Since it was about time to repaint the armor due to excessive yellowing, I figured I'll give it a shot and grabbed my dremel :)

Here you can see just how annoyingly yellow I was, next to these gorgeous AP armors (sort of standard in the Polish Garrison...)

Posted Image

Well then, here's the result of my efforts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you guys think? Am I getting there yet? I know the earcaps are all wrong.... I'll probably make them right one day, right now I'm satisfied with what I've done so far and I'll wait a bit longer. That will be the next thing I fix, though.

I want to try a completely different approach to weathering now... there should be results this weekend :)

• 2 weeks later...

11 days and not a peep. That bad, huh?

It's no TM, I know, but doesn't a 100% custom-sculpted, scratch-built lid deserve a lil' bit of love too? ;)

The ears are still woefully wrong, I know. I've been planning to redo them completely one day but I haven't found the drive to do that yet. I am, however, thinking of sculpting one more helmet, and making it even better. if I go through with that, I'll definitely rework the ears on this lid, too.

Here's how it compares to a lovely 80 gauge AP...

Posted Image

I'm happy with how the eyes turned out after the recent corrections :) What do you guys think?

Here's how it looks like on my armor... which has finally been updated with wonderful ANH arms from AuthenticProps :) The whole armor has been re-painted and I tried a completely different approach to weathering. It's actual dirt - a very fine dry clay dust blown onto a water-sprayed surface. The parts were then handled a bit as they dried, and finally zapped a bit with clear coat. The new arms haven't been touched yet, though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm hoping to gradually replace every part with AP and retire my own sculpted parts onto a mannequin... I'll probably just resin them all solid, into a statue, LOL.

It looks great to me. I agree on the eyes looking great!

What is the bucket made off?

Being this an original sculpt is something to be proud of. I like making my own props whenever I can. And knowing how difficult it is, I can but admire your work!

Congrats!

And the weathering looks just perfect to me. Good work!

Saludos...

Very cool Jon! It's definitely a bucket to be proud of!

Thank you! :) I'm never quite finished with it, though. There are just periods when I'm too lazy to continue, LOL

It looks great to me. I agree on the eyes looking great!

Thank you! i think i could make them even better, but I would have to rework the entire frame around them a little bit and add material there, rather than subtract. So I guess I'll just leave the eyes like this (and try to do better in the next sculpt :) )

Actually, I feel very eager to sculpt some new ears sometime soon. Gotta buy new clay.

What is the bucket made off?

It's fiberglass. The whole creation process went like this... I'll dig up photos from the thread i had a couple of years back:

Sculpting:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plaster casting and laying fiberglass:

Posted Image

Finished faceplate:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Completed helmet: (This is what it looked like before I reworked it - the eyes were too deep, the outer corners were too rounded, the inner corners were too far apart, the trapezoids over the brow were completely wrong, and the teardrops weren't painted right, either... So those are the details I attacked with my dremel and reworked. Well, no excuses now, I've got to do the ears next...

Posted Image

Being this an original sculpt is something to be proud of. I like making my own props whenever I can. And knowing how difficult it is, I can but admire your work!

Congrats!

And the weathering looks just perfect to me. Good work!

Saludos...

I wouldn't say 'admire' just yet, LOL! It's pretty rough if you look close. but then again, if you look at the bumpy, drippy-enameled originals, I guess it doesn't look all that different...

I know how you feel about making your own props. there's no real reason why I'm doing this, and I am planning to get a lovely, complete AP suit and bucket anyway, one day... but despite all that, I just enjoy creating something. Crafting cool stuff. Creating something out of nothing, you know?