how would you prepare your HDPE helmet?

Kokonut

Hi all,

i am getting a bucket soon and i would need a few advices on how to prep it for paint.

in all honesty i would like to give it an hpde look but i have read about a specific way to prrep the helmet.

can you tell me what wet sanding is?

the bucket is hips, i was thinking of putting some primer on then a kakhi krylon paint on it then a final glossy white over the helmet.

so that is 3 layers of paint and i wondering if this is too much...

can someone explain to me how you would prep and paint your helmet?

I'm new to all of this I do have a back ground in auto body repair.

Wet sanding is done for several reasons 1 to help get read of the dust from your work to see if you are getting it smooth also as a lube so you don't burn the paint and it helps the sand paper from clogging I have no clue what sanding will do to abs plastic If and only if I were going to sand a helmet I would use a super fine grit sand paper 1000 grit or better

They do may self etching primer. For cars They also make a flex itave to add to paint for plastic auto parts

But as I said I know nothing about abs plastic

Sorry Sanding the helmet should help the pains stick

Just sand it with 600 grit or a scotch brite pad.

Wash with detergent, rinse and air dry. Prime the helmet and let it dry, then give it 3 coats of khaki. Let it cure for a week. Mask any "chipped"areas you want to, etc. Now top coat it with 3-4 coats of white. After it cures remove any chipped areas if you masked them off. Let it cure for a week before applying decals, etc.

Don't mix and match paint brands and always use light coats. Wear a mask and follow the temperature and humidity instructions.