MY 1ST LID

ECOLI

Good Evening,

So let me first explain that although I have been heavily involved with a TD i.e. waiting on parts pieces to come available, waiting on an AP kit, etc. I saw a TX helmet kit up on the boards so I picked it up to give it a try before my kit arrives. Thanks Scootch. Anyway long story short here are photos of the finished product. Criticism is welcome, I am going to try and also list what I had probs with and hopefully I can get some good feedback.

Ok so my first lid build its a black CAP-W from SCOOTCH

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n488/ecolema1/DSCN0105.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n488/ecolema1/DSCN0104.jpg

Side view this is where I had some issues, when I tape off the flat black ear bumps I notice I got a raised edge where the tape met the tape-off, anyway to fix that? I can see why painting by hand may be easier.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n488/ecolema1/DSCN0101.jpg

So here is the helmet

Problem #1- cutting the ears flush was a real challenge, I ended up bondoing the gap.

good photo of no gap I would prefer not to have to do that.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n488/ecolema1/DSCN0105.jpg

Problem #2- painting on the vocoder and the ears left raised edges, not sure if this was normal but I am being picky.

Problem #3- My paint shack is an outdoor closet to my apartment that I taped and put painters plastic up. I rubbed some wet paint against the plastic and a few expletives later

tried to fix on the spot.

Problem #4- how to protect the paint and my kit from the elements?

I not only used Scootch's build but also Panda's they were quite helpful and would love any input or questions. Pandatrooper if you are out there feel free to comment. I would also say that being my first build it turned out ok, but I am a ways away from Rolf's TD. congrats on SWAT status man your armour is a piece of art.

Thanks guys

Just saw your thread. I got the same helmet and just finsihed it. This pic doesn't have the tube stripes yet.

Posted Image

I would lower your brow a little bit more. My brow was also kind of crooked and when I put the brow trim on I fitted it so that it looked even.

As for the ears, I make the initial cut, test fit and mark areas with a pencil that do not sit flush. Then I sand those areas down and repeat, over and over. Eventually the ear piece will get flat. When they get screwed on that really helps to seal the ear flat against the helmet.

Yeah,

I kinda realized that after I put it all together and unfortunately glued the heck out of it. Something for next time, by the way I dig your whole suit I kinda got sucked into a TX, I bought the lid then noticed my size black boots were being sold on the spec ops forum so i picked those up. I now have just decided I am going to build a TD then a TX. I already ordered the TD kit. I like how the AM looks, but may wait a bit till ATA starts producing some black kits in ABS. Any advice on my paint issues?

Thanks man

I wouldn't glue any plastic pieces on the helmet. I have assembled 3 helmets now and the only glueing I do is the mesh for the frown. Just use the rivets and screws for the ears and it will hold the helmet together nicely. And, in case of a mistake it is easier to take it apart.

Thanks for the compliments. I would wait for ATA The AM takes a lot of work to get looking right.