Mini TD build

supa troop

Firstly a couple of apologies in an advance

firstly sorry if this thread is not appropriate and in the wrong place and secondly soory for the use of the pictures that were sent to me via the RPF, PLEASE remove if needed..

Before i embark on my TD project id always promised my son that when he was of age id buy him a proper set of ABS Trooper armour, he is 9 now and his armour has been shipped of to lap land ready for delivery by santa, my son is going to be stoked when he opens the box.

Im really looking forward to building this with him and seeing the armour come to life.

The Kit is just basic TK that has to be trimmed to fit my sons hieght however i plan to trim and fix it in such a way as to make sure he gets plenty of wear out of it so as he grows i can keep altering the armour to fit.

As mentioned its basic TK so i need to get etxra bits for him Pauldron (orange) and the pieces for the back pack.

Coming from the UK im sure your aware its hard enough getting correct TD pieces for adult armour let alone Kids armour so getting the right peices for the back pack is going to be very hard this is why i am here for your help and guidence.

This picture was sent to me via the RPF and i do believe its a member here so any helpful hints and tips on the back pack, Pauldron, Diamond Knee plate and perhaps even the belly plate change would be great.

will remove upon request

Posted ImagePosted Image

That's MEPD member Quartermaster's son. He built the kit as a HWT (heavy weapons trooper) for now, but may go TD later. I'm sure Quatermaster can provide more details for you. His build thread is here

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7417&st=0&p=91045&fromsearch=1entry91045

It looks like the kit already has the ab button plate, 3 button strip and sniper plate for a "mini-TD". Blastermaster made the backpack for him. I custom made the pauldron for him in record time for his Halloween troop. :)

That's MEPD member Quartermaster's son. He built the kit as a HWT (heavy weapons trooper) for now, but may go TD later. I'm sure Quatermaster can provide more details for you. His build thread is here

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7417&st=0&p=91045&fromsearch=1entry91045

It looks like the kit already has the ab button plate, 3 button strip and sniper plate for a "mini-TD". Blastermaster made the backpack for him. I custom made the pauldron for him in record time for his Halloween troop. :)

This is Fantastic news thanks for the reply, i can wait for me and my son to build this together.

Errrrrr any plans on making anymore mini Pauldrons ;)

http://forum.mepd.ne...h=1

As Terry has said, that is my son and his armor.

The backpack was actually my buld though, not Blastmaster.

The TD ab section was made by me and the 3 button strip was also added by me. The armor came plain with no ab details.

PM sent Simon with some info.

or how about we all change our names to Pandablasterquartermaster so there is no confusion :blink::lol:

OK, now that is funny! I think I will be officially applying for that call sign!

No worries Terry. We all have our "senior" moments from time to time, no matter how old we are! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Ive begun to Build my sons Box of Armour parts and thought id post up a little progress of what i achieved today

The Helmet is almost done just need to trim and fit the ears, the maker of this particular kit tells me there was a design fault so im left with 2 gaps either side of the helmet however ive double checked and the ears will cover these gaps no problem, im a little disappointed in the cap as it seems rather flat id have liked iot a little more domed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next the shins are nearly done too im going to alter the knee plate by adding a diamond shape, also one complete thigh piece

Posted Image

Simon,

Would it be possible to put the face plate inside the dome (behind the forehead) instead of over it like on the adult suits?

The brow trim could slot onto the forehead as it should and the face would be pushed back and close (or reduce) the gap. I'd play around with it before commiting to riveting/gluing it together.

Simon,

Would it be possible to put the face plate inside the dome (behind the forehead) instead of over it like on the adult suits?

The brow trim could slot onto the forehead as it should and the face would be pushed back and close (or reduce) the gap. I'd play around with it before commiting to riveting/gluing it together.

Ive tried it both ways and which ever way i tried to add the face plate i was left with quite large gaps down the sides, when i first attempted putting it together my immediate reaction was to fit the face under the cap. I was told after buying the armour there was design fault and i found it lol

im not having much luck at all with trooper buckets lol

as for the tube stripes :6: im my defence i fitted the stripes with the helmet upside down :wacko:;)

When I did my son's bucket, I did fit the face plate inside and under the dome. I was left with a slight uverhang of the dome that the brow trim fit perfectly up and onto the dome lip. Had no side gaps.

My son's bucket was only 2 pieces. The back, sides and dome were all one pull.

When I did my son's bucket, I did fit the face plate inside and under the dome. I was left with a slight uverhang of the dome that the brow trim fit perfectly up and onto the dome lip. Had no side gaps.

My son's bucket was only 2 pieces. The back, sides and dome were all one pull.

I think this is where the fault lies, this helmet i have is 3 piece the Back and cap fit perfectly but the face seems to have come from a different kit if that makes sense.

its like tring to fix a GF face to and FX back and cap the sizes just dont match.

Its together now and il fill in the big gaps, my son wants the armour to be dirty which benefits the whole build, oh and il make sure the Tube stripes go on the right way :D

My son on the right hand side was 6 in that photo and the other kid was about the same, but I have no idea who he is and where he got the suit from unfortunately.

Your sons Helmet looks fantastic the helmet i have here is very similar to the other one with the flatter dome, i wonder if its the same kit?

ps

slightly off topic ive just come across a Han Solo Hero Trooper Helmet on Ebay, is this one of yours?? its fantastic

The suit and helmet does look like the one you have. The kid in the photo with my son was at MEM last March and was someone we bumped into. I took the photo to see how the suits compared. Here's a few more of my son where you can see more angles of his suit.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I took a look on ebay and that hero is one I made at the beginning of last year.

So now im nearing completion of my Sons TD i will hopefully be able to make a start on mine soon ......... :blink:

Howm accurate do i go with my sons TD .... thats the dilema im having, the Armour to be honest is not of the highest Quality, i really wish id known Trooper Master did kids armour however im doing the best i can do with what i have.

I have on order a custom made Canvas Belt for my son so im left with 2 flat pieces of white plastic that would have been for the belt and out of this ive tried to make a diamond knee plate but to be honest it just doesnt look right, also the ab plate is standard TK.

Therefore im thinking would it be fine just to leave the standard Knee plate and leave the ab plate as it is ie with out the buttons just leave it plain.

My son is just over the moon to have real Life stormtrooper armour as he calls it and i personally think with the subtle mods ive added ie the belt, Back pack and weathering will the ab and knee plate look out of place, im thinking perhaps not ......

another dilema if it is one my son wants to have a Holster and a grappling hook added to his belt, how can i disappoint him by saying "well son thats not quite accurate for a TD"

He doesnt yet understand the need for accuracy he just wants to be a Sandtrooper, am i trying to hard to alter what in essence is a childs costume ..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i havent seen my lad for a few weeks so ive not been able to do much test fitting of the Armour, it gets its first outing this weekend so i have a dilemma.

He has a fantastic back pack but not much else Sandtrooper related has been done to the armour

so here is the dilemma To dirty or not to dirty that is the question

Posted Image

Looks real good Simon.

My son AJ is still undecided whether to dirty up is armor. He wants to be a Sandtrooper, but he also likes the lean shiny look.

It's a tough decision for a 9 year old to make.

You could just go HWT, the pack I sent you has no weathering and it will work for Heavy Weapons Trooper.