What's the official width of the strips?

Jango 5204

I've been searching around, I'm build a suit for a friend and need to know the accurate width for the all the strips in the ANH assembly method. Mine were bigger to fit me, he's skinny. Legs and arms please.

The arm strips are generally considered to be 15mm on the arms. The legs are 20mm.

Some people make the back strips for shins slightly wider, to conceal the Velcro gap.

I'm a slim build and I used the measurements above and the work great. Still depends a lot on how you trim / shape your armor.

I have some measurements done by Art and I am pretty comfortable to say they are the real width of TD strips.

Here you go.

Legs.

Front 0,75"

Back 1"

Thighs.

0.875"

Arms.

0.75"

Biceps.

0,75"

And this is the thread about that:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5147&st=0

Thats the way mine is done.

Hope it helps.

Saludos

Very interesting! Did Art get his measurements from the archive or scale estimates? I think the Paul / TM did that for the 15 / 20 measurements, scaling photos in photoshop, etc.

Keep in mind that as Art points out, if your armor has formed ridge lines and youre measuring off those and adding the width - the wider the strip is, the bigger in diameter the armor will be.

Eg: on my TD build, I made the arms with 15mm strips, but because the ridges are preserved the forearms fit big in me (skinny arms) since I want to keep the ridges.

Depends on how the arms / armor fits on your friend.

I think he estimated those measurements scaling photos and stuff like that. The threads explains a bit more.

But yes, same thing happened to me.

I wanted to keep the correct strip width and the ridges, so I trimmed each side half the width of the strip and the glue it together. The shins and thighs are good. Also the biceps, but the forearms are quiet wide for my skinny arms.

Very important here is also how you trim the return edges on each part. It helps a lot. I had many suggestions and feedback from Paul ™ on how to trim the return edges. That helped me to make them fit, specially the biceps and forearms...

Anyway, I don't mind as I think I keep the look of TDs. They do look a bit wider and shorter than TKs. Don't they?

I wanted to have an armor put together in the best most accurate way, and since I am 5.9 and slim, the armor fits like a glove.

Saludos.

Anyway, I don't mind as I think I keep the look of TDs. They do look a bit wider and shorter than TKs. Don't they?

I wanted to have an armor put together in the best most accurate way, and since I am 5.9 and slim, the armor fits like a glove.

Saludos.

Totally! I have skinny arms too, my forearm armor will look like Popeye on me. :)

I know that in Tunisia, they used those local talent / extras (except Anthony Forrest) and they were all shorter than the UK talent when they shot some other scenes at Elstree Studios. So in general, the sandys were shorter on location than on set as they were different actors.

It's funny, you know how women always want to be thinner? I always want to be a couple inches taller and bigger to fit into my armor better! :)

Most of the UK actors was around 5'8 - 5'10, not as tall as you might think.

Ive seen strips on the biceps wider than 15mm, so those measurements are not set in stone. Most are pretty thin though and 15mm is a good starting point if you don't need to make your armour wider.

The main problem you have with most replica armour is that they still have ROTJ joining strips moulded into the arms and legs, forcing you to build them a certain size. The original ANH armour (and TM ;) ) only has a flat joining edge on the front of the pieces (minus biceps) which allows you to make your pieces narrower and conform to your body size. If you want to make your replica arms or legs narrower, you are going to run into problems because of these mouldings.