New Guy Here!!!

Gunn

Hey guys... my name is Gunnar, I live in Chicago and I looking at becoming a member of 501st. My long term goal is to be a TD, but I wouldn't mind being a TK also. I have had people tell me different things what do you guys think...

I have had people tell me to start as a TK because it is eaiser to convert it to a TD. I have also had people tell me to just start as a TD (I am a bigger... beefier fella) because of my size I am going to have to do more customes anyway, and might as well just start as a TD.

Also, would you recomend FX, I have had people tell me FX is the way to go for a bigger guy, then I have heard the FX bucket is bad...

Once I decide on the armor I want and what kind of trooper I want to be, what is the next step. How do I get the armor? I have been told to stay away from ebay... is there an easy way to get in touch with people about Armor kits.

What do you guys think? Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Welcome to the MEPD Gunnar! I would imagine that most everyone here would tell you to start out dirty! As far as a good, reliable source for FX armor, your best bet is to register over at FISD (whitearmor.net). There is a seller there who has headless FX kits for sale. I recommend the headless kit because the FX helmet is not acceptable for deployment. You'll have many options for helmets, so I would recommend browsing through the threads here and over at FISD and use the search feature in the upper menu bar. Once again, welcome!

A sandtrooper may be nice, because if you happen to slip with the knife or something it may just add to the battle damage/weathering? But there are more pieces to put together as you have to get the backpack too. If you are a larger guy the fx might be the way to go, or so they say. If you find an FX lite kit, as in just the armor (no helmet), you can just get a more accurate bucket. If im not mistaken there are some descriptions of the armors as well as the helmets on the starwarshelmets.com site. Might want to take a look over there. But im just rambling, i just have a helmet so im not the most experienced one to take advice from, there are real experts on this board, and im sure someone will chime in! Good luck!

Hey Gunnar. I was where you are about 60 days ago. Sandies are BIG in my area so to me, it was a no brainer, (see recent posts from BamaTrooper on this subject).

I have been a religous follower of this forum page every since making that decision. As you can tell from looking around here, the troopers on here are an amazing resource. However, using this level of the hobby as sole resource can get to be a little intimidating and confusing at times . . . at least without a guide.

By all means, stay on here as much as possible, but remember, there are other resources likely available to you. Check the 501st's main web site and see what garrison you would fall under. That garrison probably has a web site and/or forum site as well. Those guys will welcome you into the fold and will almost assuredly be a resource that will make this process easier.

Your fellow garrison members will probably have reliable resources for your purchases and will be glad to share their knowledge and experience. I suspect that you may even have an oportunity to attend an armor building party to help you through the build.

But don't forget to come back here and keep us up to date and ask questions of these vets as often as necessary/possible. Feel free to PM me anytime of you would take comfort in talking to someone else wandering in the desert.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

I have FX armor which is good for troopers over 200 lbs. I also got a MR CE helmet of ebay for $95. Look around some sites and take your time. Email www.authenticprops@hotmail.com for a AP bucket. AP buckets are small. Good luck.

I have FX armor which is good for troopers over 200 lbs.

I would agree with that, I just finished my TK, it's an FX kit and I weigh 220lbs, I know there is no way I could fit in the smaller armors. At this time I have the FX bucket (I got my unbuilt kit from a squad mate for an amazing price so I'll start with the FX bucket lol.) but I am already looking toward something to replace that. I am now searching for another set of armor to get started on my TD so I'll be searching for some used FX or an FX lite kit and maybe a TE2 bucket, since I do have a large melon.

Good luck on your build, there are plenty of helpful people on here to keep you going.

Thanks for everything guys.

I am looking forward to this process.

I do have a question...

What do people think about the e-Fx Collectibles buckets. I know they seem to be more for display purposes... but are they Legion legal? Do they are they worth the money? They do look comfortable.

Thanks a thousand times over.

GUNN

I myself am not a big fan of these. But I think that it will get you 501st approved.

You still need to do some modifications though if you want to use it for a TD.

Good luck buddy!!