What am I doing wrong

Pen66

Ok so I am following the wonderful guide found here

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/davin/re ... hering.htm

However I am having problems with step four.

"Allow the pigment to dry and then take a second crumpled paper towel and gently wipe of most of the weathering. The pigment will naturally stick better in some areas than others. Make sure very little is left."

It says to let the paint to dry but if I do that it is too hard to remove. I am not using the pigments from the guide but rather some acrylic paints bought locally. For those of you who have used acrylic paints how much did you allow the paint to dry if you did at all? If I let the paint dry I have to scrub the thing soooo hard that it takes over an hour to take it off so I have to be doing something wrong or I have some crappy paints. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok here is your problem. Your using paint.

Pigment is what gives paint it's color. The woodland scenics don't contain the liquid latex and bonder that acrylic paints have.

You could probobly cheat and paint the armor in a steamy bathroom. The humidity would slowdown the drying time and might allow you achieve the same effect. Or you could buy an acrylic paint extender. It's an additive that slows the drying time of the paint, but try it out first on a piece of cardboard or scrap plastic because it can change the properties of the paint.

Good luck.

If you use acrylics then there's a greater chance of the stuff actually curing between applications. IIRC the resin polymers in acrylic paints is what makes them great for more permanent jobs and adhesion plus they dry faster.

That's why its better to use tempera (same properties as kids fingerpaints) paints which are water based, wipes off easily and for sandies, wears off naturally. Some guys however prefer acrylic if they want a permanent weather job.

Don't know about removing acrylic from ABS if that's what you're painting, but you could try acrylic paint thinner. I heard common window cleaner works too. Test first of course.

Thanks so much for the tips. Luckily I was using a test piece when I was having these problems. For some reason I was thinking woodlands was acrylic. I'll have to look for some tempera paints or just getting the woodland set.