Subtle Paypal spoofing email going around.

Arppegio

I wasn't quite sure which area to post this but I thought I should let you all know about this since a lot of us use it.

I got an email the other day claiming to be from Paypal. It was set up to look like a newsletter concerning the dangers of email spoofing. It had pictures of people who were supposed customers and business users with small articles attached to them. One of them, if you wished to read the rest of the story, had a link for you to click on. I didn't click the link though.

Now at no point did this particular email ask you for information. But I did find it odd for some reason. Then I looked at the address which just fueled my suspicions more. The email addy was: paypal @email.paypal.com. (I added a space so it didn't automatically link)

For those of you who don't use the service there is no "@email.paypal.com" extension. They just use "@paypal.com" for whatever they send out. So I called up paypal, let them know what I found, sent the email to them to look at, and sure enough they told me it was a spoofing email scam because they said they never ask their customers to click on any link with any of their emails. I think the way it worked was that if you did click on the link it would've asked you to "log in" or something. Not sure since I didn't click it.

So watch out for this one. It was pretty subtle, imo.

Sounds like phishing to me - one of these cybercrooks said they needed to update my paypal addresses and directed me to a bogus paypal site where I would have to give my cc number to verify my identity. He made two mistakes: 1) No one who's legit asks for a cc number on a non-secured url and 2) the web addy was actually someone's name at some unrelated domain. Pretty lamo job