Return edges?

bselphfsu282

Alright, I just got in my MTK armor and had an issue on return edges. I watch Mikes videos, he cuts the armor where there is no return edge left, however I see numerous individuals here creating them. One, is it mandatory to have a retun edge and what are the benefits and downsides to a retun edge. Also, my armor needs much trimming. Could I not just leave a few millimeter lip on the trimming to work as a return edge? Thanks guys and sorry about simpleton questions!

Hey Brent,

Welcome to the MEPD!!

If this is your first kit of armor, man, you are up to some exciting time here!!

It is awesome and lots of fun to build your first armor!! And second, and third...

Return edge will give your armor a more realistic look of a real armor, but most important, it will make it look closer to real ANH, ESB or ROTJ armor.

So, there are a few places that need to have a return edge, and some others that need to not have it.

I think I can try to draw an scheme for you, and future troopers, but I dont know when can I get it done...

so in the meantime, here is a list:

Biceps: both ends

Arms: elbow end, outer piece yes. Elbow end, inner piece no. Wrist end, both pieces no.

Thighs: both ends

Shins: Ankle end, no. Knee end, yes.

Chest plate: lower end, yes, both sides and top end, no.

Chestplate: top end, yes. Both sides, just a bit (if kit allows). Leg ends, yes, slightly going to no return into the crotch area.

How much return, it depends on the part, but maybe leave about 3 mm, and work your way down from there.

Here are a few reference picts so you have a better idea:

post-1761-0-37782400-1352994957_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-13969800-1352994973_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-88836700-1352994991_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-83688800-1352995014_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-66173500-1352995025_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-13225000-1352995048_thumb.jp

In comparison shots just take in consideration the older looking pieces, the shinny white ones are SDS and not really worth as a reference.

Hope it helps.

Saludos

Thanks for the help! I think I am understanding the concept now. I took a cut of one of the pieces and left a couple millimeter lip for this purpose. It would seem this is all that would be required and not have to use a heat gun to bend it down. Yes this is the first build of actual armor, got a tusken done, and very excited, but very nervous to start. Don't want to cut too much and have to buy new pieces. Already had a slip of the razor and ended up wounded in the chest!

hey brent,do you own any lexan scissors!

i swear by them and stops so many gashes in the hand etc.(sometimes you might need a knife for the tight corners)

i also find a good rule of thumb is to draw a pencil line round the inside of your armour and add your return edge to that,

does that make sense! :thumbsup:

hey brent,do you own any lexan scissors!

i swear by them and stops so many gashes in the hand etc.(sometimes you might need a knife for the tight corners)

i also find a good rule of thumb is to draw a pencil line round the inside of your armour and add your return edge to that,

does that make sense! :thumbsup:

Right on dude! This is the ONLY way to build IMO!

Not quite. I'll need to grab the scissors cause I literally stabbed myself in the chest and didn't know it! I'm educated, but not smart it seems!

Lol been there, done that mate... Got the small scar to prove it too!

Hey Brent

Good post.....how is the MTK amour? I've just sent a tentative email to RS about there amour, expensive$$

Great to referrance articles like yours, so hopefully I have a guide as how to do what when my armor arrives. Good luck and keep posting!

Hey Brent

Good post.....how is the MTK amour? I've just sent a tentative email to RS about there amour, expensive$$

Great to referrance articles like yours, so hopefully I have a guide as how to do what when my armor arrives. Good luck and keep posting!

love the MTK armor! heavy duty and accurate from what I have seen and what other squad members have stated. The customer service has been great as well. i'm 6'1", 205lbs and for my body size, this is a great fit. I would consider it.

Hey im in the same position as you, just trying to learn here!