In search of Sterling

Tyranus

That's it exactly.

I am not sure what I may do there yet. Once I get all other pieces lined up and begin stripping the paintjob off to prep for repainting, I will check that out and figure something out.

Maybe I could even a piece of Styrene cut to fit, just to pop in and cover the hole. Once in place it could be painted black and dry brushed with a metallic silver to weather it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sterling had a piece of thin aluminum.They held in place by filling the void in the gun with putty behind the aluminum plate.I removed the putty because it prevented the mag from going in all the way.I will make another plate like the one that was there but will have to come up with another way of holding it in.

Like you said drilling might be the way to go.Probably not going to be easy,never heard about it until your post.I have not had the time to take mine apart yet to clean it up.I also have to cut the rear end of the ejector port on a angle because when they put the steel bar stock in the reciever it was put foward to far and the ejector port is streight at the rear.

I think I will try drilling out the plug first to allow the trigger mechanism room to fit up inside and operate properly before I start grinding down the mechanism itself.

If you haven't picked up the Sterling Manual PDF I posted up, it really helped knowing how to remove the trigger assembly, and walks you through a complete stripping down of the Sterling.

Hey Ward,

Two things I have observed:

The trigger guard on your Sterling looks like it may be "smooshed" in a bit giving it a slightly more oval shape that it should have.

The eagle logo on your Hengstler is covered up by front "cap", mine is exposed when fully assembled, as a "window" is molded into that cap, yours appears to be a "modern" cap, and looks like the one on my "plain version" Hengstler.

I achieve the "parkerized" finish using Rustoleum "Professional" flat black (the stuff in the silver can) by holding it back just as far as the spray pattern will allow while still coating the piece. As the paint is atomized from the tip and flying through the air it partially dries before landing on the piece being painted. You just layer it on letting it dry in between coats. If you let it cure for 1-2 weeks it really does make for a pretty durable finish at a "low" cost!

Hey Ward,

Two things I have observed:

The trigger guard on your Sterling looks like it may be "smooshed" in a bit giving it a slightly more oval shape that it should have.

The eagle logo on your Hengstler is covered up by front "cap", mine is exposed when fully assembled, as a "window" is molded into that cap, yours appears to be a "modern" cap, and looks like the one on my "plain version" Hengstler.

I achieve the "parkerized" finish using Rustoleum "Professional" flat black (the stuff in the silver can) by holding it back just as far as the spray pattern will allow while still coating the piece. As the paint is atomized from the tip and flying through the air it partially dries before landing on the piece being painted. You just layer it on letting it dry in between coats. If you let it cure for 1-2 weeks it really does make for a pretty durable finish at a "low" cost!

1. You are correct. I could opt to remove the trigger guard and carefully try to shape it back out with a few gentle raps from a hammer wrapped in cloth, or leave it and attribute it to one too many battles.

2. Correct again. The black plastic "receptacle" portion of the Hengstler I received does cover the logo, but comes with a measured template for cutting a window in the soft plastic for revealing the logo beneath. I just have not had time yet to cut the opening. I will most likely use a small diameter drill bit for the corners and then connect the holes with a razorknife and metal straightedge. When I have done so, I will post up another pic.

3. Thanks for the painting recipe! I have painted up several aluminum parts for my R2 Unit, and no matter how careful I am to painstakingly prime and sand smooth before, spray carefully in thin layered coats and allow to dry thoroughly for 2 weeks before handling, it always seems to be VERY susceptible to chipping. I have a friend with an auto body collision repair shop that can paint it for me in a heated booth and he says he can reproduce the parkerized finish if I want it.

To be honest, I'm not sure I want the Parkerized finish. I mean I know it is what REAL Sterlings had, but most of the props used in the film were probably rented, old battered Sterling with most of the finish gone giving the E-11 blasters the appearance of a smooth, satin-like finish. I'm just not sure which will give a better appearance when completed . . . Parkerized or a smooth satin black.

Thoughts?

It starts out all nice and fresh looking, but my E-11's weather pretty nicely and get that worn satin look in places lending an even more "SW used" look to them. Although I don't think you would be trooping with this piece once completed due to the heft of it. You can "distress" the finish and rub your hands over it in various places which casues a "used" look... that workd pretty good for me.

WOW!! That is THE cleanest looking Sterling I have EVER seen! I snagged the full sized photos for future reference.... thanks!

That's pretty danged close to the finish I'm getting with that painting technique I described.

Mel (aka Avatarman) has one of my folding stocks and can attest to the finish on it.

You're welcome.

It really is a clean Sterling.

I found the pics in the forums on STERLING TALK...a branch of UZI TALK.

Tony, can you post up a Hi-Res image of your paint finish so I can compare it?

Thanks!

You're welcome.

It really is a clean Sterling.

I found the pics in the forums on STERLING TALK...a branch of UZI TALK.

Tony, can you post up a Hi-Res image of your paint finish so I can compare it?

Thanks!

OK, as requested here are some close-up shots of the finish on my stuff using the method I stated earlier. It's REALLY hard to properly capture it with the camera I have, but here it is anyway. This is all the higher resolution photbucket will allow me, if you want the FULL ON pics, PM me with your email addy and I'll forward them to you, they're a smidge over 1Mb ea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just for giggles here are some comparison shots of my scratch built E-11 to an actual de-milled Sterling I borrowed from a garrison mate... not too shabby in comparison IMHO, plus mine only weighs a tad over 3-lbs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image