Color blue for backpack parts...

iconoclasta_88

EDIT------

NOTICE---- The following info although is right for the color and brands, might not the most accurate reference.

This should be used as a guide for non Humbrol paints and color.

Since this post was written and pinned, there has been an agreement that the accurate color and brand to use for blue parts is the HUMBROL 47.

If you can't find it, or wish to go other way, this is a very good guide for what color is acceptable...

I am removing Sky blue from the list, since it is not accepted anymore.

Different shades of blueish and grayish tones can be expected from the brands listed here, but all of them could be accepted for the CRL standards.

The main reason of this post was to give the Pantone colors and unify it around the world, even if the listed brand or color is not available locally.

EDIT ENDS---------

Reading several different threads and online sources I have collected these as the colors of choice for the blue parts on the backpack (from most recommended to least)

1. Rustoleum Country Blue

2. Rustoleun Satin Slate

3. Rustoleum-American Accent Irish Blue

But taking in consideration that Rustoleum is a brand not easily found in Mexico (and maybe in other countries), I thought it would be good to have a Pantone number for the color needed so that anyone in any country could actually just go to any paint store and have it done...

So, my guesses are:

Pantone 290C

Pantone 291C

Pantone 283C

Pantone 277C

(This is from Pantone solid to process guide)

Since I have never been able to find the Country blue or the Satin Slate, Im just guessing here.

Does anyone know the actual number of Pantone that should be used to paint the blue parts?

Thanks for any info on this...

Saludos

PS: To know what pantone is just check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone

Edited by iconoclasta_88
Due to resent findings, more accurate info was posted.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it is a toughy. I found a cool medium mute aqua by Krylon (exact name by tomorrow), but at the time I was spraying it (when it has had 2-3 coats) and it gets that wet look after the good base coat is down, I use a Medium grey Krylon and I spray at the same time, but more of a misting... it dulls the aqua to a bluish-grey.

I will post pics tomorrow of the final color on my pack 2.5.

Also, a misting of WC's Super Secret Weathering Solution helps. Here comes the big secret recipe...

- A big bottle for mixing. Half Gallon or a liter.

- Pour about 45% windshield wiper fluid (to help it "stick").

- Then about 35% rubbing alcohol (to speed up dry time).

- Add water until bottle is 85% full.

- Squirt 50% Medium Grey, 30% Medium Brown (Mocha), and 20% Flat Black Acrylic, mix in a tube, then squirt into large bottle and shake well. Make sure it is not too thick, or it can gloop out, and you want it to be fine particles, and when it sets up, it is like dust.

Pour into plant feeder spray mister, or left-over CA accelerant bottle, and mist well, and blot drips and runs with tissue. Reapply 2-3 times.

Then do MH's Fuller's Earth with Hair Spray method on top of that. An important factor, do not put big dooge-piles of Bantha crap on the pack. They tend to look just dusty and dingy.

You can also, wipe away some, and reapply twice, or even three times... until it feels "right".

The blue becomes very neutralized by this point.

I hope that helps.

John

You are right Sergeant.

In Mexico, it is impossible to find the blue color for the parts of the backpack.

This post can be very important for the interest of some that we looked for to make a backpack very very screen accurate.

In other words... Gracias por pensar en los que deseamos un field backpack y que buscamos los colores correctos!!!

Tanks.

• 4 months later...

While perusing the spray paint section of the hardware store, I found a can of Rustoleum Satin "Lake Blue" 241252 (Rolf should appreciate that number :) )

I sprayed it on some parts that I'm sending to Spain, and it looks really close to the color on the screen used backpacks. I included the white balance cards in the picture so that you can calibrate your monitor (if you want to be that detailed)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The blue isn't quite that bright in person and has a little more gray in it than the photos show, but apparently, someone at Rustoleum loves the Sandtroopers!

Charlie

• 8 months later...

Errrr....

This might be an odd question to ask, but it seems that I just completely forgot the Humbrol number for ther back pack blue... OOOHHHH!!! Never mind, I just remembered LOL!!

Humbrol 47...

Im just adding this here cause I noticed it is not included in this thread and since it is the original color (It is, right?) I guess we should have it here noted.

Saludos

While perusing the spray paint section of the hardware store, I found a can of Rustoleum Satin "Lake Blue" 241252 (Rolf should appreciate that number :) )

I sprayed it on some parts that I'm sending to Spain, and it looks really close to the color on the screen used backpacks. I included the white balance cards in the picture so that you can calibrate your monitor (if you want to be that detailed)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The blue isn't quite that bright in person and has a little more gray in it than the photos show, but apparently, someone at Rustoleum loves the Sandtroopers!

Charlie

Thats a nice blue Charlie, maybe even more accurate then the Humbrol # 47.

Sadly we got no Rustoleum here in Denmark.

How is the surface, is it as strong as the toxic strong Humbrol when you scratch the paint job on the plastic parts.

Cheers bro :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The only place I can find the "Lake Blue" in Albuquerque is online.

Yes....it is extremely hard to find. i have a friend who manages the paint dept at True Value...they have every color imaginable except "Lake Blue"....he also said its not in any of his catalogs. there are very few cans actually in existence from what i can see....plus they are going for about 11.00 a can

Only $10.49 per can from Amazon.com today:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241252-Satin-Enamels-12-Ounce/dp/B0010OMHMY

USPS gets bent out of shape if you try to mail aerosol cans through their system, otherwise, I'd buy them up from the Home Depot here and forward them to all of MEPD. But, if you buy a can or two of the paint from Amazon, and a Star Wars book, you qualify for free shipping :duim:

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bro's I was working down at the agency today, so I usually watch VHS movies while I work in my little office there, anyway, I was watching my OLD VHS of Star Wars, I paused the movie on the sandy's a bunch. Studied their packs and then with the images fresh in my mind went streight to OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) and found some "Slate Blue" Paint by Rustoleum!!! I thought I'd try it on my next pack currently in progress. Here's a couple pix of the Slate Blue next to the color blue I used on my previous packs. What do you think???

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll paint some parts, then sand em a bit and post a photo.

Slate blue looks a lot better IMHO...

Has that greyish look to it.

That is very similar to what I used in my pack... But then, just got some Humbrol 47 and after comparing it to my pack it seems that 47 is a bit lighter, bit still not that much. Has less magenta than the one I used (that being American Accent Irish Blue).

I do think that the right color should be something in between those two you have...

Anyway, I was on the understanding that the correct color was Humbrol 47... is it not?

I just got 10 tins of it from the net last week and was planning on repainting my pack with it.

Great find either way Scootch.

Saludos.

I guess the question is: "Is there any person or literature we can use to verify what THE true color is/was?"

I am just taking jabs at it until I end up with something I like. Funny how many shades of blue there are huh? Ha ha!

I guess the question is: "Is there any person or literature we can use to verify what THE true color is/was?"

I am just taking jabs at it until I end up with something I like. Funny how many shades of blue there are huh? Ha ha!

Yep!

That is the question Bro!! :)

I read or heard somewhere that to get the right answer you first need to ask the right question. So, I guess we are closer... hehehe... *turns around both ways* Nop, one to answer yet. HEHEHE...

I guess you are right anyway...Just get what you think is cool and that you like... Until next time you find out you dont like it anymore and want to upgrade... and so on. HEHEHE...

Is that true that Inuit ppl have like a 1000 names for different shades of white???

:)

Saludos.

:D Okay check this out, in different lighting it looks different, sometimes more blue, sometimes more grey. I know the screen caps can be misleading due to film quality etc, so I guess I will stay with this Slate Blue on my pack build and we can see how it looks in the end. Peace bro's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 months later...