New information about Sonix Victory 75 radio

Strider

As some of you may or may not know I've been in touch with Bigred (TK-3257) about some more information about his Sonix radio and he recently got back to me.

As a quick recap, there are currently 3 sources of found Sonix (or derivatives) radios the MEPD is aware of:

1. Sonix 75 from Bigred ---> http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56013&start=20

2. Sonix 75 from Bob C. (Radio enthusiastic, not affiliated to the Star Wars community/501st)

3. North Star radio (Sonix derivative) from 1970s (MEPD user name) >>> http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=9335

So without further ado, this is the information about the measurements that Bigred has shared (posting of this mail with his permission):

Sonix%20Radio_zpsva2qtmof.jpg

Which would translate to this:

FoundSonix01_zpsu0rlym24.jpg

My take on it:

Given the recently surfaced new measurements of the somewhat larger Karrimor frame it does make sense that the radio is also slighlty larger as anticipated. The width of the radio reflects the measurements that "1970s" has already taken however the hight given by Bigred is about 2cm longer than the measurements from 1970s (take from the North Star Clone).

He mentiones a 5 pin din socket on the right side but no D-ring, though it would be possible that not all Sonix radios had the D-ring. He states that both jack plugs on the left side have the word "mic" above it but I think that's just a typo as he mentioned in his thread about the found radio that the word above the lower one is "ear".

I'm very much looking forward to check out the new pictures he aims to send and will certainly put them here in this thread. It would be great to finally have secure information about all measurements and "greeblies" of the Sonix!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting this new info!

Probably not possible but would Bigred ever be interested to have the radio digitally scanned? That would be something I would certainly donate money towards if that ever came to fruit.

Bigred mentioned in 2010 in that post linked above that he was going to look into casting his radio but that never seems to have happened. Any news on that front?

This is all great info !

Interestingly, the position of the 5 Pin Din mentioned above is exactly where the D Ring appears on the reference Sonix.

This would then be inline with the wire wrapped around the radio and I'm pretty sure you'd see it in the reference photos if it was there.

Makes me think the D Ring and / or 5 Pin Din were aftermarket modifications.

All that being said, it hasn't stopped me adding both ;)

• Strider unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Sure. Your Radio works but it is not in an original condition:

- additional socket  on the side and thus additional holes

- the original antenna was broken off and another one was drilled

Good and original looks different, sorry.

I am sorry I didn't know that it wasn't appropriate to post it here. If advised I will remove my comments.

Also, I never stated mine was perfect, the other one sold for 1800 had a piece broken off the band selector, missing port on the side, unusable battery pack, faded logo and usemarks all around. You can still see under sold on ebay.

I am sorry I didn't know that it wasn't appropriate to post it here. If advised I will remove my comments.

Also, I never stated mine was perfect, the other one sold for 1800 had a piece broken off the band selector, missing port on the side, unusable battery pack, faded logo and usemarks all around. You can still see under sold on ebay.
Not a huge deal.
There is a sales area in the forum under " supply depot ". Great place to showcase items for sale. You can introduce yourself, show off pictures, do a sales pitch..
I think there is a tread about your radio there already. It is at the top of the list.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, you’re the nice guy @RicarduZonta

1. “Unusable battery pack” ? LOL. The battery pack was restored, radio’s now functional. Soooooo easy to do, no biggie..

2. Usemark .. rather “battleworn” thank you very much.

3. “Missing port”? Yours look like it has an “extra” socket. So,buyers beware

4. And look.. what a curious looking antenna. 

Very nice of you to feel the need to “heap praises” on other’s to sell yours at higher price huh? 

• Upvote 1