"Move Along" Captain with black pauldron?

bantha hunter

Hey guys,

While trying to figure out what specific TD I want to portray, I stumbled across a detail that made me go "hmm?". I tried to find any previous discussions about this, but couldn't find anything.

Guys, the "Move Along!"-captain has a secret identity! :ohmy:
In the very first shot of the roadblock-sequence he can be seen hiding in the background, wearing a black pauldron and trying to act like a private. You can clearly identify him by the markings on the chest plate. However... That means we have been dealing with an impostor, because the captain (or who I always thought was the captain) is walking into frame mere seconds later. In the same shot.
That means that the "Move Along!-captain was actually portrayed by two different sets of armor - One that is only seen from behind, and one that is seen from the front. It has to be this way, because the set of armor (Or just the torso) that was used to show him from the front is in the background of the shot when we see him from behind.

Sneaky!

I can't be the first one to notice this, right? It might be a detail that is only visible in the despecialized versions of ANH, because I think the "Move Along!"-private with the black pauldron was covered up by a CGI Ronto later on. Not quite sure about that, as I don't have the special edition here right now.
I used the 4k77 version of the movie to take this screenshot:

VPCpJt6.png

The reason that happened is because between shots, the actors playing the sandtroopers will take off parts of the armor and pile them on a corner until is time to shoot again during the undressing and dressing process some actors will switch pieces without noticing the mistake or worrying about it.

There are many of those cases during the few minutes we see the sandies on screen

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sn4k3 said:

The reason that happened is because between shots, the actors playing the sandtroopers will take off parts of the armor and pile them on a corner until is time to shoot again during the undressing and dressing process some actors will switch pieces without noticing the mistake or worrying about it.

There are many of those cases during the few minutes we see the sandies on screen

Ah, I see! That makes sense. :D
I honestly never noticed it before... I suppose this particular trooper is the most "in your face" instance of this happening.

For example, the helmet of the "look sir droids" is the same of the dewback rider and one of the troopers in the docking bay shootout, but the armor has different set up.

I believe there were only 6 full suits for the tattoine scenes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sn4k3 is correct, there is a lot of armor switching about between takes.

I mapped out a proposed configuration and made note that in the next scene the armor (hands and bucket at the bare minimum) were totally different.