Backpack #3 - Informationthread

bigwam

On 6/13/2022 at 2:45 AM, Sithlord337 said:

Onto another part which might be very close. The exhaust port. Doing a bit of digging and although not the correct year and certainly not quite the right shape, I think I may have stumbled onto something0ea975525f3a39a57fa45f6c2126af04.jpge59241135f22662b456ee9dff8323cba.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Actually first used in the 1982 pontiac firebird...

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, Sithlord337 said:

I think a very similar thing has been found, but the person won't give any details on what car it came from!facebook_1614685689377_6772482645696829801.jpgfacebook_1614685716003_6772482757377546921.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

So this was me, that is a photo I took of the part I spent many hours looking for.  It is not quite correct, but very close.  I modified mine a little to match it to screen references...I ended up buying 2 of them to build one final unit . Sorry everyone, have been going through family issues last 2 years as my father was going through end of life so was very spotty and semi absent  in the media department.  I can post a pic of the finished unit.  I added ribbed hose the next diameter down from tie pilot hose and used metal tubing and an O ring to mimic that end piece, though I suspect it was originally an old vacuum cleaner fitting

I also wanted to share another discovery I made that further supports my theory on the Fender Amp Capacitors.

In a recent issue of Star Wars Insider Magazine I discovered a behind-the-scenes set photograph that shows a stack of some audio gear just out of frame during Luke’s training remote scene on the Millennium Falcon. So it's not visible onscreen in the movie, which is why this was the first time I seen it! Though being a guitarist all my life; I immediately recognized what was on top of the stack, and I can assure you that is the unmistakable sight of a Fender Amplifier with its iconic “Witch Hat” knobs. I’m certain of it.

vHyozjv.jpg

As I said this stack of audio equipment is just out of frame so it's not visible in the movie itself. But as you can see in this set photo it's definitely there!

This may not be the exact model but it is likely a combo amp close to this. As you can see above; the amplifier chassis has been removed from the speaker cabinet exposing all the internal electronic components including the capacitors.

hHIyMI3.jpg

So now we know for a fact the prop department & set decorators definitely had at least one Fender Amplifier they used for parts and greeblies.

5cRGsm0.jpg

This means it’s possible that the part on the side of the Sandtrooper Pack could very well be a set of Capacitors taken from a vintage Fender Amplifier.

9488A1A3-F17E-4875-82F8-B578726E6A6C.thumb.jpeg.71770d1cacc712e1775975862d5f40db.jpeg

You can even make out the two little resistors on the lower right of the baseplate! That pretty much does all but confirm it for me.

F989393B-A730-48CF-9C06-42139A06C536.jpeg.615d1c1b1e01f1b1b0d473f97d892c5d.jpeg

a8l6IYE.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, Sithlord337 said:

I think a very similar thing has been found, but the person won't give any details on what car it came from!facebook_1614685689377_6772482645696829801.jpgfacebook_1614685716003_6772482757377546921.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

So this was me, that is a photo I took of the part I spent many hours looking for.  It is not quite correct, but very close.  I modified mine a little to match it to screen references...I ended up buying 2 of them to build one final unit . Sorry everyone, have been going through family issues last 2 years as my father was going through end of life so was very spotty and semi absent  in the media department.  I can post a pic of the finished unit.  I added ribbed hose the next diameter down from Tie Pilot hose and used metal tubing and an O ring to mimic that end piece, though I suspect it was originally an old vacuum cleaner fitting

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwxk7pff20jd4ue/20221011_175925.jpg?dl=0

This is my pack build so far...RWA seed trays, Shires UP100 cut down to UP90, correct plunger caps, gio bottle..used an old oil spout and end as bee stinger.. matches shape of screen used..RS props supplied the mortar tube and end caps, RWA supplied the sandtrooper detonator plate...genuine karrimoor tote em pack with original straps dyed black, brexton lunch box and a replica sonix radio yet to be installed...and by replica I mean IT WORKS...dial spins and picks up stations, switches work, jacks work..is a working  replica radio..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I built a capacitor rack following dustytrooper's photos and a lot of research I did on my own...So this rack of 5 capacitors and resistors was fairly common across amps in the 60s and 70s and as technology progressed, so did their look.  The base of this rack is cardboard found that was from the mid 1970s, the capacitors are vintage from Ebay that came with ringmounts that I cut down and secured with small machine screws underneath.  They made the same version without the ring mounts that can also be sourced from Ebay. The resistors are also vintage 70s from Ebay and the solder points are small rivets that I just carefully removed the shaft from.  Mounted on the pack it looks almost EXACT.  I spent a lot of time going over measurements and I feel this size capacitor best fits...and it also is wrapped in black paper which makes for less painting..lol.

My thoughts on this set up after mounting  this : The original cardboard mount on the real rack was too wide so they trimmed the back down so it would be small enough to fit the tray side. Doing this meant cutting the solder points and rear wire from the capacitors causing no real support.  Also , it appears that the 5 capacitors were pushed forward so they were more centered and pushed over the top of the 2 resistors. Screws from underneath the cardboard mounting plate were screwed through and into the middle of each capacitor, which on screen you can see from Dustytroopers previous pics and does explain how they are all angled differently, but rotated from a Centerpoint.  I chose not to cut the back wires off from the tips of the capacitors, but easily could, I folded them under so you really don't even notice them.  I haven't painted it black, what you see is straight vintage parts.  If this was all painted black it would make it very hard to unlock all these details...I feel this is it and I'm very happy with how it looks on the pack.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RzAczHT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115326203868?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rhOrKv-wSNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=DDl2jGbwS7q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115326202202?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rhOrKv-wSNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=DDl2jGbwS7q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

a8l6IYE.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:32 PM, oztrooper said:

I built a capacitor rack following dustytrooper's photos and a lot of research I did on my own...So this rack of 5 capacitors and resistors was fairly common across amps in the 60s and 70s and as technology progressed, so did their look.  The base of this rack is cardboard found that was from the mid 1970s, the capacitors are vintage from Ebay that came with ringmounts that I cut down and secured with small machine screws underneath.  They made the same version without the ring mounts that can also be sourced from Ebay. The resistors are also vintage 70s from Ebay and the solder points are small rivets that I just carefully removed the shaft from.  Mounted on the pack it looks almost EXACT.  I spent a lot of time going over measurements and I feel this size capacitor best fits...and it also is wrapped in black paper which makes for less painting..lol.

My thoughts on this set up after mounting  this : The original cardboard mount on the real rack was too wide so they but the back down so it would be small enough to fit the tray side. Doing this meant cutting the solder points and rear wire from the capacitors causing no real support.  Also , it appears that the 5 capacitors were pushed forward so they were more centered and pushed over the top of the 2 resistors. Screws from underneath the mounting plate were screwed through and into the middle of each capacitor, which on screen you can see from Dustytroopers previous pics and does explain how they are all angled differently, but rotated from a Centerpoint.  I chose not to cut the back wires off, but easily could, I folded them under so you really don't even notice them.  I haven't painted it black, what you see is straight vintage parts.  If this was all painted black it would make it very hard to unlock all these details...I feel this is it and I'm very happy with how it looks on the pack.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RzAczHT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115326203868?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rhOrKv-wSNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=DDl2jGbwS7q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115326202202?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rhOrKv-wSNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=DDl2jGbwS7q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looks good, what are the dimensions of each capacitor? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, I am back from Australia in 2 days, dealing with family affairs, when I return I'll get those capacitor dimensions and weigh the pack once I add the sonix radio on to it.  I can tell you the radio shell without the components inside is significantly lighter.

14 hours ago, oztrooper said:

Thankyou....you are an inspiration 

Thanks for the kind words!:)

And thank you for putting so much of your time and effort into doing the research on the shells and sharing it with all of us here!:salute:

• Like 1

Special thanks to dustytrooper for all his research and the stimulus so I could further research and create a proof-of-concept.  The results I hope will help us all further re-create a resemblance to Pack gear that looks closer and closer to screen used...after all, that's what we are all here striving for...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...