My 1st suit

Craig

Hey guys!

I recently attended comicon in Victoria BC Canada, where the outer rim detachment of the 501st put on stellar displays! My daughter was in love with it all,we basically lived in the 501st displays for the entire day!

I really enjoy what you guys do for communities and how you do it. So much that I really want to be part of it, so I would like to start researching on how to build a sand trooper suit,and join the outer rim detachment.

From what I've read, I gather most go for kits that you assemble yourself, and to avoid certain sites, never buy off ebay, avoid re-casts and shady dealers. I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to make armour plates, instead of getting them in a kit. I really just want to know how and where I should start with this.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Craig.

You have defiantly come to the right place for information on Sandys. If you are looking in to actually forming your own armor parts vs buying a kit, I would strongly encourage you not to. The armor is for the most part vacuum formed ABS plastic. To do this on your own requires you to sculpt a mold, cast a buck and the finally form the plastic. Then you need to trim, assemble and fit the armor to you. It's an insane amount of work, with lots of research, trail and error and a steep learning curve. I have a AM Armor kit and have zero complaints with his work. Take a look around here and over at whitearmor.net for a ton of build threads and advice on all the different manufactures. Also if your local garrison has meet and greets or build parties, go to them. You will be inspired to move forward and meet some amazing people. Best of luck to you.

Steve

• Like 1

I completely agree with Steve/The Sleepy Llama. I have already worked a little with heatforming ABS and let me tell you, it's not easy and will finally cost a lot more than buying a kit. Building such a kit will also be a very rewarding experience. 

Thank you guys so much!

I will look into whitearmour.net. 

Unfortunately,I cant post in my local garrison as I'm not yet a member of the 501st. But I will contact them and ask if they have meets like this.

I'm really hoping to get a suit assembled within the next year. I really want to be a part of what you guys do,and more I want to get my daughter involved too. As seeing her eyes light up with u guys was priceless.

Thanks again for the direction guys!

FOR THE EMPEROR!!

First of all great that you have found your way to the MEPD Craig!

As mentioned earlier you can find a lot of info here and on the FISD/ whitearmor.net about the do's and don'ts concerning armor and their specific manufacterers. Doing your own vac-forming  is very pricey and it will take a lot of time to get it right.

But as you are going for a sandtrooper I'll have to recommend that you do 95% of your research here as we have a lot of willing and able members here that can and will help you out.

Concerning your daughter, I don't know her age, but if she's under 18 she can join the Galactic Academy: http://www.galactic-academy.net/

How come you're not able to post in your local garrison's forum? They do must have a section for prospective members...all garrison's do have them as far as I know.

So, if you need help just reach out to one of our members ! We are here to help :salute:

Hey Dutchy!

Thank you. I'm pretty happy to start this chapter in my life. Always wanted to be a trooper! My daughter is 6, and in love with the costumes, and the idea of daddy being a trooper.

She hasnt seen the movies yet, but I was 5 when I 1st saw episode 4,5,6,and I literally watched the movies almost every day until I was about 10. So I think it time for her lol.

I joined my local garrisons forum yesterday, so ill be asking them and you guys a whole lot of questions!

As for a kit. I'm looking into authenticprops. I would like ABS, I'm about 5',7", 155 lbs. Has anyone here delt with authenticprops here? Or have suggestions where to get a kit from? I would like it untrimmed.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I have never heard of authenticprops... that does not have to mean much but definitely is not a well-known vendor, so beware. 

Do you have some pictures of the armor? 

The commonly known and recommended vendors are TM, RWA Creations, DA or RS. 

I believe I got the business name from whitearmor.net. I'm in canada, and trying to become part of the outer rim garrison. It's a Canadian company so I was thinking proximity. From what I read and their responses. They make 501st approved armor. I do have picture. Do you mind if I send them to you? They were sent to me from authenticorps.

Yeah, makes more sense to get something from a company closer to where you live, especially since all the makers in my list are UK based. 

The kit looks good, still I would wait for someone to chime in who already has experience with that kit. But should be okay as you mention that it was recommended on whitearmor. 

I would love to check out the thread. AP said his helmets now come with the darker lenses, but someone in my local forum told me he sends "C" trim, and I would probably want to get "S" trim for it. I have no idea what that means. Is this some sort of trim for the armor panels? Breast plate?

15 hours ago, Craig said:

I would love to check out the thread. AP said his helmets now come with the darker lenses, but someone in my local forum told me he sends "C" trim, and I would probably want to get "S" trim for it. I have no idea what that means. Is this some sort of trim for the armor panels? Breast plate?

Here you go...

the s-trim is more accurate. I got mine from trooperbay.com.  

In my build, I sort of went crazy with the helmet... you’ll want to skip ahead a bit to the actual armour building. 

I've taken the 1st big step...I've ordered my kit!

I have a untrimmed helmet and armor kit, with a canvas belt and gloves on it's way!

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions that I'll be asking my local garrison and you guys.

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1