Sonix Radio Conversion

henselmonster

I came across this radio a while back, it was from around the same era as the Sonix we know and love, made in 1976 in Hong Kong.

It doesn't look much like a Sonix on the front but the rest of it looks pretty familiar! 

7VROHc5.jpg

EaSVCye.jpg

0Z1DDr9.jpg

Unfortunately this isn't exactly the same size as a sonix, other wise I would get a cast of the radio face and make my life a lot easier. So like a crazy person I'm going to model a sonix faceplate myself to make it fit. 

You can see the size difference here. They are almost exactly the same width and depth, but its just a little shorter sadly (sitting next to my woodman radio).

lqjX4QF.jpg

bQvq2FT.jpg

I started the deign in illustrator and ill use this a basis while I model in fusion 360. I'm still pretty green when it comes to modeling, so it will take a while. Plus I have like 40 other projects I'm doing right now as well lol. 

The end goal is to convert this DYN radio into a working Sonix replica. Should be fun!

x6K9rXK.png

Great find John, another of the Sonix's sister.
You know, if it's the same length, you can use the upper part of Woody's, which leaves you to design just the lower part that will fit the DYN. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, m4vrick said:

Great find John, another of the Sonix's sister.
You know, if it's the same length, you can use the upper part of Woody's, which leaves you to design just the lower part that will fit the DYN. 

That’s a good idea! I may just do that. Saves me some modeling time! Lol

• 2 years later...