HappyTrooper's Mission Journal - 56 Troops

HappyTrooperDotCom

2 more missions chalked up:

Troop 44: March 30th, 2019: I attended a local elementary school's fundraiser carnival.  It was a beautiful day to be patrolling outside, and a wonderful turnout.  Lots of Star Wars fans here, and the kids were very well behaved.  The local fire and rescue gave me a tour of their state-of-the art ambulance.

image1-1.jpeg

Troop 45: April 7th, 2019: April 7th, 2019: The Empire was out in full force during Casey’s Automotive Car Show & Spring Fest. There were some magnificent cars on display, including a DeLorean WITH a flux capacitor! Over $7300 was raised by Ellie’s Hats, a local charity that assists children who are battling cancer. 

PIT04434-1.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

I brought R2 to the event and he found a car that he fell in love with:
16AFEFFC-AC41-47A3-BDC4-D4E88353B2E3-1.j

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Troop 46: On Saturday, April 27th, 2019, R2 and I supported the "Arlington Bunny Hop 5K" race that benefited "Bridges to Independence" - a charity that helps lead individuals and families out of homelessness.  Over $10K was raised by the runners in this event.  It was a beautiful morning in Virginia, and the crowd was wonderful.  We hope to attend next year too.

IMG_7796.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Finishing up 50 troops here!

Troop 47: on May 26th, 2019, our local periodical: Northern Virginia magazine, put in an official 501st request to interview and photograph a member from Garrison Tyranus.  Our CO didn't have time to meet them, so I got the call as acting squad leader in this region.  I conducted an intervew with the editor of the magazine, and also came into their office for a photoshoot.  It was a long shoot, at almost 3 hours, but the photographer really knew his stuff.  He had fog machines, various colored lights, and took some great pics.  Here is the link to the article:

https://www.northernvirginiamag.com/culture/culture-features/2019/04/26/inside-the-world-of-damon-degner-northern-virginias-local-stormtrooper/

and a few shots:

TD10900NoVaMagShoot.jpg

R2NoVAMagShoot.jpg

Troop 48: On the morning of May 4th 2019, I attended a local "May the Fourth Be With You" event at our local community center.  The county had put together a bunch of Star Wars related activities for kids, such as: crafts, Star Wars foosball, Star Wars obstacle course, Star Wars rock climbing, and to rest, a screening of ESB.
IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Troop 49: I attended a 2nd local event on May 4th 2019.  This was a comic con hosted at a middle school.  It was a great turnout, and John Morton, the actor who played Luke's gunner "Dak" in ESB, was there too.  AND hot off of the Northern Virginia Magazine interview, the "Voice of America" attended this event, and did a story on the 501st and May 4th, broadcast in Russian.  VoA is a US Government news agency that broadcasts news in over 40 languages.  Here's the link: 

https://www.voanews.com/a/spreading-the-magic-of-star-wars-worldwide-through-costumes/4913994.html?fbclid=IwAR3mU0-xdiM1e7UgmFmFQp0Vxc9Ji-De2ujnlEOLGzbSfwRSfWb2Ud4zzAQ

IMG_5387.jpg

DSC05236.jpg

TADA...Troop 50 as a Sandtrooper. On May 10th, 2019: I attended a local PTA fundraiser basketball game, that benefitted 2 of our area middle schools.  It was an incredible turnout.  The kids were well behaved, and it was a great way to start a Friday evening.
IMG_1144.jpg

While I do have a few other 501st costumes, the Sandtrooper was my first, and it is my most heavily trooped in.  It took me 3 years to hit the 50 mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Troop 51: June 19th, 2019 - got to go to DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) in Ballston, VA to ask them to help us design a better Death Star.  DARPA held their annual family day.  R2 and I got to see a few of the amazing projects that DARPA is working on.  Incredible stuff here.  As you can imagine...security was pretty tight.

DARPA.jpg

Troop 52: September 29th, 2019 - The Rebel Legion and 501st Legion joined forces to support the Histio-Ty Fighters 5K race. It was a beautiful day to be outside, and raise awareness for Histiocytosis.

HistioTyInfernoSquad.jpg

HistioTyBucketsOff.jpg

Troop 53: October 6th, 2019: The Empire took a walk with Apraxia Kids at Lake Anne Village Center in Reston, VA to help raise awareness for Apraxia. We had a great crowd & beautiful weather.

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

Troop 54: October 18th, 2019 - The Empire teamed up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Reston, VA to celebrate those who have fought, and currently battling cancer. Another beautiful night to be outside with some awesome people.

LLSGroup.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

Troop 55: October 19th, 2019 - The Empire got to meet and walk with some awesome kids from the Cure Spinal Muscular Atrophy VA chapter. Just the day before, we had a gloomy day of heavy rain. The skies cleared, and a beautiful fall day presented itself to all of the participants.

IMG_1845.jpg

CureSMAHiFive2.jpg

Smiles.jpg

Troop 56: October 20th, 2019: Rain couldn’t stop CureSearch Northern Virginia from holding their annual walk & fundraiser. The festivities were moved inside of Tyson’s Corner Center. We celebrated the children who have battled and are currently battling cancer. Local WASH-FM DJ: Chilli Amar was onsite to MC the event.

IMG_0209.jpg

CSWNoVa-6.jpg

• Like 1