Striders Backpack build with found parts

Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The lunch box arrived! Very happy with it :) I can't wait until I've painted and assembled the pieces but so far the proportions look spot on!

Lunch_box_comp__zpsuqhqbat8.jpg

Lunch_box_comp_2_zpsjoruoehd.jpg

Awesomeness! Great to see the box together with your seed trays!   :peace:

5 hours ago, gino said:

I'm not so sure tha't the correct box. The raised frame on the screen used  is thicker and closer to the edge of the box.

I don't know, bro. The paint and the photo angle make it hard to say for sure. That's why I'm looking forward to have it assembled and painted. The overall dims however fit pretty good.

7 hours ago, gino said:

I'm not so sure tha't the correct box. The raised frame on the screen used  is thicker and closer to the edge of the box.

So it might be the other box coming with the picnic pack?

26694a37d0f2ec1f73db30859eb0c590.jpg

The one on the right? Dimensions are not that far off the other box...

Or did i misunderstood your post, Gino?

IMO, these are 2 similar but different packs. For the move along pack I would say the right one is (more) correct. For the pack I'm trying to emulate (shown in the reference pic) the shape and form of the left Brexton picnic box looks better. However, I do see Gino's point about the lip being closer to the box. Just not sure yet what to make of it.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

IMO, these are 2 similar but different packs. For the move along pack I would say the right one is (more) correct. For the pack I'm trying to emulate (shown in the reference pic) the shape and form of the left Brexton picnic box looks better. However, I do see Gino's point about the lip being closer to the box. Just not sure yet what to make of it.

Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure that there's only 1 pack like the move along pack (the one with the shotgun shell greeblies).

Different people wore it at different times. And when look sir droids wore it, it didn't have the tape on the toolbox or seed trays yet.

I don't think either of the two brexton boxes are what was used. At least not either of the two shown side by side.

1 hour ago, gino said:

Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure that there's only 1 pack like the move along pack (the one with the shotgun shell greeblies).

Different people wore it at different times. And when look sir droids wore it, it didn't have the tape on the toolbox or seed trays yet.

I don't think either of the two brexton boxes are what was used. At least not either of the two shown side by side.

Well, if there was only one move along pack they heavily modified it during the course of the scenes. Take a look at the cantina captain pack or the alley check scene where this type of pack also appears; both have a lab pipe (okay, that could have fallen off) and the seed trays have a different color (the lower top seed tray of the alley check backpack has the battleship grey color). Also the lunch box of the "move along" pack in the falcon take off scene appears to have a lip (the size is debatable) whereas on the pack in the move along scene the lip is almost non-existent pretty much like the larger/right lunch box posted above. Furthermore the radio of the pack of the cantina captain and alley check trooper appear to have the dial decal (top left circle) whereas the radio of the move along pack appears to be completely sprayed black.

Now I'm not saying I'm 100% percent sure on everything just my perceptions.

Alley check pack:

2015-07-23%2005.51.36_resized_zps7qugut5

It looks to me that the box in the photo below matches more the Box #2 (which is the one on the right above) from the Brexton picnic set.   The edging on the bottom of the box seems to go closer to the corners than Box #1 has - it looks like to me that the photo of the sandtrooper backpack from the movie has the edging going more to the corners more than box #1 does.

Tool-Box.jpg

From this angle - it almost looks like a flat rectangular piece of plastic has been  applied to the bottom of the box that Strider has shown above with the lip from the Brexton picnic pack.   If so - i that might explain why the tape was added  because it kept falling off?   It would also explain why the lip is higher and more near the edges.    Just a thought.

normal_b.jpg

It can be a bit confusing because different pictures seem to yield different evidence (based on angle, lighting, etc.). But given that the Brexton boxes IMO tick most of the right boxes I'm still holding on to that theory. The Brexton boxes are from that era, have the right size (and everyone who has done a bit of research on those boxes knows how unique this size is), the right shape and have the ridge on top of it.

Below is a good picture that compares the ridges of the (smaller) Brexton box with the one on the pack. I tried to highlight the lip since it's a bit hard to see it on the picture:

fieldpack7.jpg

This is some great detail, its amazing how many difference of opinions and thoughts there are on backpacks. I am halfway through my build and color has been a contentious topic, in the original ANH the color was more of a battleship blue grey which i agree with but then after the recolor and re-release it magically went to a blue color? which is it?

I say the grey like in original?