Canteen to Bee Stinger Tutorial

Airborne Trooper

Using one of P3laton3 Canteens to make the bee stinger for the pack can be done several ways. This is the method that I decided to use.

The Gio style canteen has a texture that we are unsure of was present in the movie or not. To be safe and after reviewing a few other builds, I decided to remove as much texture as possible. The first step is to remove the straps then use a flat head screwdriver or any shimming device to pop off the grey tops and bottoms. This is fairly easy to do just take your time.

Next, you'll want to use a hacksaw or dremel to cut off the spout or opening of the canteen as flush to the top as you can.

IMG_0121.jpg

Using the cap as a template, trace an outline and use a sanding drum to hallow out the center. You can also sand the cap's ridges off to make it more circular. The cap will need to be able to sit in this opening and will house the hose.

IMG_0122.jpg

The next step will be sanding the top/bottom pieces and body of the canteen down. Alternatively, you could using filler and smooth it out.

IMG_0123.jpg

On these canteens there is a channel for the straps along the side. Using spare ABS a little less than 2mm wide and just long enough to go past the edges are used. I rounded off the edges using the sanding drum and heated them up in boiling water. This allowed me to bend the ends to contour the original shape as much as possible.

IMG_0124.jpg

I drilled a 3/4" hole on the cap to fit my hose into and glued the cap to the inside of the top plastic piece of the canteen.

I painted the top/bottom and hose a satin black and the body with Rust-oleum satin slate blue then assembled the components. Make sure your cap fits into the opening snug and allows the top plastic piece sit flush how it is suppose to be.

IMG_0129.jpg

C09D761C-80E1-4A2E-94CB-46B6BBB89CE0.jpg

My paint job is no where near perfect but I believe it gets the job done. Any slight imperfections can be easily covered with weathering. I can adjust the length of the hosing by inserting more of the hose inside the canteen.

• 2 months later...