Grey-blue Color for Backpack Parts

Strider

Well, I don't think we'll ever find out for sure therefore I'd say if it looks right go for it. What makes the RAL 7031 perfect IMO is that it's color does change with the lighting (as shown in my intital post) from grey to blueish.

From the colors above IMO the "blue grey from Homehardware" and the " Rust-oleum battleship grey" are pretty close. The "Rustoleum Lake Blue" would be acceptable (again IMO) but a bit too much on the blue side for my liking.

I'll see if I can get some panzer grey and paint some bottles with it..

and yes, we'll never find out....as a lot of props were simply destroyed after shooting.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I guess this is gaining attention again. The UKG is pretty firm it’s a blue shade and not battleship grey. 

Well, I haven't seen any evidence that would contradict my findings ;-) Unfortunately most of the pics are gone due to photobucket and I haven't found the time to update all of them.

The battleship grey fits perfect IMO because you can see how it changes color in direct sunlight (rather blueish) whereas if not exposed to sunlight it keeps the grey color we can see in the unaltered 1977 ANH version.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

On 31.7.2017 at 2:15 PM, Airborne Trooper said:

They are arguing that in all the pictures there is a hint of blue. I believe it's just the light making it appear blue. Here's a picture they are basing their argue around:

mLoR610.jpg

yeah well, if you use pictures where a color filter has been applied as a reference you will inevidibly get the wrong results. 

I'll post the original unaltered version of that pic once I'm back from my holidays.

• 7 months later...

don't agree with the Krylon battleship grey color. It's just way too dark to me. This is a custom mixed color I had done  with Gino's input.                                      The paint is the same on a single part in 4 different lighting sources.  IMO there is definitely blue in it but the nearly straight grey Krylon Battleship grey is way too dark.    My color next to the  original pic Strider posted.                                                                                  

f8O42Aam.jpg

I tend to agree with Woody. I just painted a few parts for my pack with battleship grey and it definatly is very dark.

I painted bottles as well as a seed tray and canteen and nothing screemed that's the correct color at me!

It's just a personal feeling nothing provable  but it looks too dark to me too!

Do you have a color chart match for this specific color you mixed, Woody?

Could you match it with RAL or Pantone charts?

21 hours ago, RoCKo said:

Do you have a color chart match for this specific color you mixed, Woody?

Could you match it with RAL or Pantone charts?

I started with a close color and had them tweak it to our satisfaction.  I have the exact color formula 

• Like 1

That's great but nothing i can paint my parts with...   ;)

It would be easier for other pack builders if there was a paint name or chart number to achieve the same results!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to start a SWAT level pack build.    It doesn't appear there is a consensus about the correct color here in this thread.   The only agreement is that it's on the gray side of a grayish blue.     What do you guys think of this:

819eLMeIh5L._SL1500_.jpg

Slate Blue is too blue. Command staff is actually working on settling on a single color. Something closer to battleship grey. I will make a post in my pack build thread tomorrow AM with the options I’ve tried so far. It should be grey in color, with a hint of blue, but it will look grey under most lighting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Slate Blue is too blue. Command staff is actually working on settling on a single color. Something closer to battleship grey. I will make a post in my pack build thread tomorrow AM with the options I’ve tried so far. It should be grey in color, with a hint of blue, but it will look grey under most lighting.

Ok thanks.   It's tough to get these colors in the US for some reason.    Hopefully you have an option that will work.   I'd like to get to work on this Field Pack because that RS pack (my PO approved pack) is HEAVY AS ________________________________.    :P       I'm confident my built SWAT level pack will be lighter.