Sonix Victory 75 variations

Strider

I've been doing a little research on the sonix Radio lately and while I haven't found it yet I came across a few interesting look-a-likes. It seems some parts could even been have used for the real Sonix, eg. the brackets of the vintage westminster or the leather around the Electrobrand...

Vintage Electrobrand Model 2144:

Vintage%20Electrobrand%20Model%202144_2_

Vintage%20Electrobrand%20Model%202144_1_

VINTAGE RADIO CAVALIER NTR-1000 Japan

VINTAGE%20RADIO%20CAVALIER%20NTR-1000%20

Vintage sanyo 4 band radio model rp8251

Vintage%20sanyo%204%20band%20radio%20mod

VINTAGE WESTMINSTER AMFM SOLID STATE POCKET RADIO Model 1356

VINTAGE%20WESTMINSTER%20AMFM%20SOLID%20S

Victory (smaller version)

Vintage%20Victory_zpsfgcudt9o.jpg

Yeah, they seem to be distant cousins as well. It's really curious that although there are so many similiar animals out there no one has ever laid his hand on the real thing.

I've been in touch with a guy in Niagra Falls who actually owns a Sonix Victory 75 but he has no interest in selling it because it was a gift from his late grandmother...bummer.

Well, the empire will not halt or falter until it has been discovered. Some say it contains the plans of an even more powerful death star ;-)

In my research, I've gone the route of kids toys and build-your-own radios. I've come to the conclusion the elusive radio was a knock off of sort made for dime stores. Love the research! it's a global mystery!

Rocko, who used to be a user and well known member here, found and bought one. Afaik.

It was just as the sonix victory 75, actually it was identical, but it was North Star Brand.

I found one guy who is a radio enthusiast, I saw a picture in his webpage of his home radio station and he had one on the back. I mailed him and contacted him on Facebook but he never replied.

It does exist. It was a real radio. There is more than enough proof of that. But there is not one in sight.

But we will find it. Rest assured.

Saludos.

Hey Juan, I think we're actually speaking about the same guy, "Bob", right? He told me he would get a couple of inquiries each year from some crazy star wars fans ;-) I kinda anticipated that and told him I'm just an enthusiast for vintage radios...but well, the result was the same.

should the MEPD put up a bounty for whoever finds a Sonix first? Bob is not eligible😜

Yes!

That is the guy, Bob!

Someone, I think it might have been Art Andrews (might be mistaken), put on a reward of something like $1000 USD in many vintage radio collectors and other radio enthusiasts forums, and all he got was the name and a website entry about it. But he also got some weird reactions from some members on those forums. Questioning why would anyone want to pay good money for a piece of crap...

You can google and find the forum posts easily if you want to read about it.

It was maybe 5 or 7 years ago.

If you search deep enough, you can actually find the post at some ebay-like site from canada, where Rocko got his radio. I found it just a few days after he won the bid. At least I asume it was him, case a week later the pictures of the radio appear here with Rocko's water mark over them.

I cant go anywhere, literally, without searching for the radio. Everywhere I go I look for it: peoples houses, stores, markets, restaurants, expos, just literally everywhere, and anywhere... and of course, browsed thousands and thousands of entries on ebay, locally, USA, and worldwide.

This has become an obsession for me. I have talked and commissioned a few antique deales and film art directors to search for it... but no luck so far.

But someday we will find it! I will find it someday... I know.

Yes boss.

I have it as an I accepted friend request in Facebook.

Do you plan on contacting him?

His name is Bob ******

Saludos.

Let me know if you need the whole name. I wrote it but edited cause I don't think it's cool to publish his info without his authorization.

• 3 months later...

Allright, it's getting warmer...this time with a JEC transistor radio. According to its owner the measures are 230mm x 200mm x 90mm which almost or exactly the measures of the Sonix radio. More important it's the first time I have seen a picture of the actual handles used on the Sonix. Unfortunately it lacks the ear jacks and dim pins on the side but it's another small piece of the puzzle :)

Sonix_1_zpsku1w0pnt.jpg

Sonix_2_zpsnofxke8q.jpg

Sonix_3_zpsyfbup7au.jpg

Sonix_4_zpsdhut0qnn.jpg

I've found those brackets on another couple of radios similar to the Sonix one.

Seems that back in those years was a must.

Only one thing is that not being a Sonix or Northern Star I wouldn't rely too much on these measures

• 4 months later...

I may have found more "clones" or similar radios to add to the list.

Two manufacturers National Panasonic (which is now Panasonic) and Sanyo.

This came about when I was looking for info on two little portable radios I have had since the mid 70s.

They are both Emperor - but I found some "clones".

Emperor came out of Hong Kong. It manufactured radios under a few different names which are Emperor, Aitron , Precor , & Williamsons.

It was/still is common that manufacturers produce their own brands and then slap another label on it. This could be the reason why there are several different names associated with the radio.

So it is possible that the radio is a Sonix - but it is also the other brands that people have found.

I have also done some sleuthing and came up with more search terms for the radio. I have found more radios that are similar or like a clone, by adding "vintage shortwave multiband PB/WB/AIR " to my searches.

The two radios that come close and a third I have not identified, because I have only found a sale ad for one in Italy.

Panasonic had a line known as the RF (in Japan) or Cougar 7 (outside of Japan) series in the early 70s.

I'm working on finding good images of them.

This is the image of the unknown make from Italy -

64b7475cf061dfee0251ed16781b3892_orig_zp

The Cougar 7 series of radio from National Panasonic was also known as the GX-400

The Panasonic Cougar 7 RF-877

cougar_no7_rf_877_1219339.jpg

The Panasonic GX-400

gx_400_rf_966lb_478791.jpg

I am leaning towards the Sonix being a Panasonic clone because of that unique design on the band switch.

The other similar designed radio I found is the Sanyo RP-6850

s-l1600%203_zpsggkynkez.jpg

It appears that the "ugly dark olive drab plastic" and "colander speaker design" was popular in the early 70s.

Nice finds! The first one is a Solid State radio (as written on the top). Funnily I have the exact same model in my basement ;-) Solid States were produced in Hong Kong and are still available frequently on ebay. On a side note, there were no radio producers in Hong Kong in the 70s just lots of manufacturers for different parts which is why some parts of the Sonix can be found on other radios as well.

Maybe we'll be able to construct a 'Frankenstein' Sonix from all the different radio parts one day, lol.

Cheers

I had always understood that "Solid State" meant that the item was constructed of materials that kept the electron charges inside the material. The use of transistors instead of old technology that utilized vacuum tubes.

It was a way of marketing electronics, when that was on them, you knew it was "high tech".

I did not think Solid State was a brand.

I may have found more "clones" or similar radios to add to the list.

Two manufacturers National Panasonic (which is now Panasonic) and Sanyo.

This came about when I was looking for info on two little portable radios I have had since the mid 70s.

They are both Emperor - but I found some "clones".

Emperor came out of Hong Kong. It manufactured radios under a few different names which are Emperor, Aitron , Precor , & Williamsons.

It was/still is common that manufacturers produce their own brands and then slap another label on it. This could be the reason why there are several different names associated with the radio.

So it is possible that the radio is a Sonix - but it is also the other brands that people have found.

I have also done some sleuthing and came up with more search terms for the radio. I have found more radios that are similar or like a clone, by adding "vintage shortwave multiband PB/WB/AIR " to my searches.

The two radios that come close and a third I have not identified, because I have only found a sale ad for one in Italy.

Panasonic had a line known as the RF (in Japan) or Cougar 7 (outside of Japan) series in the early 70s.

I'm working on finding good images of them.

This is the image of the unknown make from Italy -

64b7475cf061dfee0251ed16781b3892_orig_zp

I have that exact same radio in my living room. I found it on a flee market for about 15 USD. Just mine is green. But it is a bit too small. Maybe around 1/2 of what I think the Sonix would be.

I posted a picture on the first page of this thread.

:)

We will find it someday!

Saludos

Third times a charm - my laptop has been wonky and the touch screen now does it's own thing. Or there is a ghost trying to communicate with me.

Anyways

I could not sleep last night so I perused the internet.

I ended up again at the Radiomuseum(dot)org.

I looked through ALL of the images for radios manufactured in Hong Kong. I have found at least three manufacturers that have identical radios.

This leads me to believe that the Sonix may be a model name instead of a manufacturer.

The other thing I came across - was in their "unknown" section of manufacturers, someone has added the Sonix 75 as a custom.

This may cause confusion to someone who hasn't looked at how their database is set up. It is like how anyone can edit Wikipedia. You just need an account and you can add items to the database.

I am compiling the links and trying to narrow them down (so far there are 14 radios, and this is only for Hong Kong)

Once I have completed it - I'll post it to here.

What if the UK prop store didn't use any Hong Kong radios but a local brand?

We have seen this happening already with the Karrimor frames, the toilet syphons, the tupperwares sto&go and few other bits on the backpacks.

How many radios they needed? Four, five and few custom ones to mock up the real ones.

Maybe buying them in a local store without going that far to buy few would have been simpler.

I have seen many re-branded ones or specifically made for the UK market. ;)